The Entity

"How is he?" I asked, letting out a quiet sigh.

The physician shook his head, making my heart sink further into the dark depths,"Brace yourself Lucius. His condition is only worsening. At this point, any attempt to heal him with elixirs and magic won't work. I recommend you spend these last few days with him, to make his passing more comfortable."

"Are you certain there is no way?"

"The problem is, all I can do is heal and patch the surface issues. The root of the problem, I am unable to find. I cannot ascertain what exactly I am dealing with so I cannot prescribe medicine to combat the underlying wound or illness. I have given him some Garlaque tea to sooth his pain but that is the best I can do until the root cause is uncovered."

"Thank you, Physician Kelly."

"No matter, the beastials will always be loyal to the son of Tarkyol." With that, she left me outside the birch wood door, only my own thoughts to fill in the silence.

I opened the door, seeing Anthony's peaceful state brought me some solace. He looked angelic under the golden rays of sun, as if a divine harbinger sent by the heavens themselves.

Nearly three years he had been holding on to his life.

All because of some unknown disease.

I caressed his cheeks, planting a soft kiss on his forehead,"Fate...Oh fate...How can you be this cruel? First you take my mother, then now my lover? Have you sadistic joy from taking away all that I hold dear in my heart?"

Of course not, Lucius Sadie.

I was startled,"Who's there?! Reveal yourself! If you so much as touch a hair on his head, you're a dead man you hear me!"

Hahahaha! So quick to get defensive. Just like how you did when little Artemis got hurt by that hunk of metal, no?

My mind raced at a million miles a minute. 'Could it be a kosmimarian? No...She killed them all. There were no survivors.'

Rest easy Lucius. I'm not a kosmimarian who has come to fulfil a vendetta. I am merely someone who wants...Entertainment. What better way to get some when I know a little bit of information you might like.

"Information? What kind?"

That little lover of yours, Lucius, is a goner. You know that, I know that. But do you know who has done this? I know who, do you?

My throat was constricted as I found it difficult to swallow my saliva, legs rooted to the ground in shock as my breath quickened,"Y-You know who did this to Anthony?"

Ever so hasty, aren't you? Sit down, let's have a little chat first. Because if you want to understand what caused this, you'll need to know about someone.

You see, there was this person who was very, very dogged. Hardened by all of the atrocities life had thrown at them. That person had a conviction they mentioned once. This is what they promised themselves: To never, ever, ever fall in love.

This was to the extent that they would rather put themselves in extreme physical torture than fall in love.

Their rationale was simple. If they never fell in love, they would never have their heart broken into tiny little pieces to be stepped on.

But then something happened. They met this person. They were...Different. Not just some random person but a supposed soulmate of sorts.

Because of this person, they broke the one conviction they held so dearly and fell in love. It was going well. Really well actually.