Reward & Exhaustion

The bear was growing a little tipsy from the excessive blood loss while the tiger had several fractured bones and was on the verge of death following their violent clashes. It was time.

I jumped down from the tree, my butt landing on the back of the tiger as I swiftly coiled it around its neck and tied a knot.

"GRAAAAAWWW!" The tiger desperately thrashed, but ultimately failed to throw me off, instead with its limited oxygen supply, quickly succumbed to unconsciousness.

Tightening the rope further, I saw the rising of its chest stop. Just as I jumped back, it crashed to the floor, dead.

I looked up. The bear had collapsed. Too much blood was lost. I untied the vine and looped it around the bear's neck. Soon, it too, died at my hands.

The blood from the two animals, just like the man, flowed out and coagulated into words.

[Well done Artemis! You have passed the tutorial with flying colours. Much better than your rival.]

My eyes narrowed in pleasure. It felt rather enjoyable to be praised,"What did they do?"

[He is currently running away from a Vermillion Cockatrice, on the verge of death. Let me grant you a reward.]

Three rings appeared before me, their abilities made themselves known in my head.

The one on the far left was emerald green in colour and scaly in texture. It would grant me the power of flight.

The one in the middle was sapphire blue and crystalline. It granted the mana capacity of a rank 1, enabling me to use magic.

The one on the far right was ruby red and metallic. It enabled me to store items.

[Pick one. As for the rest, they'll serve as rewards for later.]

The storage would serve the most practical use, allowing me to hopefully sell the two beasts, if I ever got to civilisation that was. On the other hand, flight would let me leave this forsaken place for good. However, I was extremely interested in this magic. After all, who hadn't dreamt of commanding dragons or pushing waves?

(A/N: I'm curious. If you were to choose, which one would you and why?)

"Are there other beasts in the forest?"

[Indeed.]

"What process does a commoner go through to become a magister?"

[The awakening of mana and inner potential requires mana stones to artificially increase mana. Much like how the sixth generation CRISPR modifies genes to artificially increase muscle density or combat genetic defects.]

I knew little about CRISPR and was as far away from being a PhD holder as I could be but I understood the concept and the most dumbed down version of it.

"What about flight?"

[Flight is possible above rank nine.]

I let out a low whistle, nodding,"Okay. Give me the storage ring."

The mana ring had lost its lustre in my eyes after understanding the process of becoming a magister. It would be possible without the ring. The ring of flight, while tempting, would be a death sentence. A commoner holding the power to fly? I was asking for death by holding something which would be so highly coveted. If I hid it, then I would miss out on using it which would hinder me more than help.

[Very well. Here is your reward and a symbol of your triumph. Your next reward will come when you slay the forest's king.]

A tattoo appeared on my arm. The skull of a tiger with two gazelle-like horns. It had a vicious look of unrivalled ferocity.