Chapter 3

"What are you drawing over there?" Nina ran up and looked at the picture, which Anna was diligently painting on a large album sheet under carbon paper, trying to hold the original at a window together with a sketch. She was painstakingly depicting the shadows of the map that the sunlight prompted.

"London," she answered without taking her eyes off the sketch.

"London!" echoed Nina, considering better. "Why would you, anyway! Did you redraw the London map? My, my!"

"I am in love with London!" Anna giggled. "As if you did not know that! I will go to London when the time comes and speak only Queen's English! I will see Big Ben and Trafalgar Square. I will feed birds there. Then I will come to look at Westminster Abbey and will walk London Bridge to and fro."

"Bah!" Nina grunted cheerfully. "Who has that on the mind! You and your English, though!"

Nina inspected Anna's room. Stacks of books devoted to the English language were everywhere—textbooks, anthologies, fiction. Notes and clippings everywhere. Posters of some western celebrities of which Nina also had never heard, Anna was such a fan. It was pure fun to look at her, trying to explain the meaning of his sighs for all these actors and performers.

She dreamed of far-away countries, speaking different languages, adventures, and finding her Prince Charming. All this was a mere pinch of life to Nina, who saw happiness on more of an elemental level. Her routine of life favored being surrounded by circles of relatives and friends. Unlike Anna, she was indifferent to all these languages, movies, and books.

"Well! Who has the most beautiful London map?" Anna brought the girl back to the real world.

"Mm. You, deffo!" Nina burst out laughing and embraced the stepsister.

A pleasant female voice came from the kitchen.

"Mealtime, girls!"

It was Anna's mom. She looked up to her mother and entrusted her to all her secrets and dreams. Elena listened to her daughter's stories about how she'd go on long journeys, how she would make sure that her stepfather did not hurt them anymore, how she would become rich and all their debts would disappear, how she would fix mom's health problems and how everything would be perfect.

Elena always believed it would be so. Only forsome reason, at nights, when no one could see her, tears flowed treacherously across her cheeks.