Chapter 55

As soon as she closed the door behind her, she fell onto her bed, logging in social media and e-mails as she went, scanning messages and missed calls.

The first thing she did was call her mother and apologize a million times for her shameless behavior, assuring her that everything was fine and that she would be back in Mining City in a few days.

Then she found Mark's number, and without reading fifteen messages from him, she immediately dialed.

"Yes?" the familiar voice warmed her heart at once.

"Mark, it's me," she began. "I'm sorry I didn't explain, but I had to leave."

"Anna? God, finally! I can't believe it! Where are you?"

"I'm back in Milan."

"What are you doing there?"

"I think I'm getting into trouble, consciously."

"What are you talking about?"

"Mark, are you coming?" a woman's voice came from the background.

"Yeah, yeah, give me a minute," Mark said to the stranger.

A pang of jealousy shot through Anna. What was that? Hurt ego, maybe? She winced at the discomfort. She hadn't even considered the possibility someone would occupy that Mark's life... other than her. Typical female selfishness. Crab mentality. And the girl's voice reminded her defiantly that Anna was not a wedge of light. And it was painful to hear.

"Ahem. Are you busy?" Anna asked grimly.

"No, no. Anna, are you okay? Get outta there. I don't know what's going on in your head, but I advise you to stop and not make mistakes you will regret."

"Maaaark!" the female's voice called again, louder.

"It's all right, Mark. Thanks for caring. I'm just having a relationship problem," Anna wanted to know Mark's reaction to that statement. Was he as uncomfortable as she was?

"Um... what's the problem?" there was indeed a note of discontent in his voice.

"Randall slept with someone. And I flew to Milan to be with a guy he hates, to hurt him."

"What a... wise plan, Anna. Are you thirteen?"

"I know, it's silly... but it hurt so much that I couldn't think of anything else. But it doesn't make sense because Randall doesn't care about me."

"Well...Hmm...And this guy?"

"What guy?"

"The guy he hates doesn't care about you, either?"

"I don't know. Teo's a good man, and he admitted to having feelings for me."

"What feelings?"

"Mark, I don't know! What a question! He even confessed he loved me, but I guess he said that because the situation was good and just out of passion. We don't know each other very well, so..."

"I see. Anna, I have to go now. I'm late for the movie, sorry. I'll just tell you that the best thing to do when you see a storm coming is to put down your umbrella and not leave the house at all. Take care. Ciao."

"Thank you. Ciao, Mark."

He hung up. Anna stared at the blank screen for a moment, trying to control the discomfort of her conversation with Mark, but she calmed down and began to answer the messages. Letters were infinitely many, and all had to be answered. Still, flashing nine messages from Randall she studiously ignored, focused only on responding to all emails and letters from friends and family.