Chapter 72

Leaving the room, Anna found Teo already on the balcony. He was smoking and playing some melancholy chords on his guitar.

"Teo," she started, "you are so hurt..."

He looked at her and grinned.

"If you're looking for confirmation of your idea that I maliciously planned our relationship and am now upset that it didn't work out, then you're not gonna get it. I'm not upset that you feel nothing for me, Anna."

"You're mad at me. I can see that."

"I'm not mad at you, Anna. I'm mad at everything. You're leaving in a couple of days, and I don't think we'll see each other again. That hurts me because I know your mind is full of Randall, and your time with me is dust to you."

"Teo, please don't say that!" she pleaded, falling into his arms. "Please forgive me for all the words I shouted on the platform."

"You don't regret saying them, Anna," Teo said calmly, pulling away from her. "All those words were true, so do not retract. And it only hurts more. But I just can't comprehend how you can love him. He's a dog in the manger, Anna."

"Teo, Teo!" Anna hugged him again, holding him. "I'm here with you. I'm not with him, Teo."

"It's true," he sighed heavily, "but you only came with me because he sent you off. That's why. Otherwise, you would have agreed to run away with Randall. Even though he just couldn't stand the idea of you with me. Even seeing that he doesn't love you, you're still willing to blind yourself to any idea that allows you to be around him. But know this, Anna, it won't do you any good."

Teo pulled away from her grip and stood up, lighting another cigarette.

"Teo, I am asking, let us not part like that. You just reminded me I am leaving soon. If the last hours you are determined to hate me, I cannot take it!"

"Silly Anna!" He shook his head. "Your empty head will never understand the depth of my feelings. You will always try to ascribe to me what is not. It doesn't matter what you do or say, Anna. I don't hate you. I love you."

Teo tossed his half-smoked cigarette angrily and looked at her.

She was silent, her eyes downcast.

"You're right," he said in a calm tone. "We have a little time. Let us have some fun?"

Anna nodded shyly as she met his gaze.

"I suggest walking along the waterfront and visiting Burton restaurant in Porta Nuova."

"Is it good?"

"Oh, it is. Delicious food there." He smiled and added, "And it's posh."

"Very, very posh?"

"Very, very posh. But for me, it's nothing," he winked.

Anna finally laughed. As soon as she saw Teo lose his guard, she leaped back into his arms. He couldn't help laughing, too.

"Come on, put on something gorgeous."

"You're not working today?"

"No, and I'm starving."

"All I have is the black dress and the one I wore when you and I had a romantic dinner. Will that do?"

"No more outfits?"

"No."

"Just get in the car. We're going shopping. And then, finally, some breakfast. I'll dress up, too."

Startled, Anna hurried to her car. She was glad they'd talked and tried not to think about how bad things really were. The realization that she had tickets back to Mining Great City hit her with a force that made her ears ring. She knew that she would never see Randall again, contrary to Teo's opinion that she would now communicate only with Randall. Brooding over the scene at the station repeatedly, each time she heard Randall calmly saying, "Anna, you have to go." The words stabbed her in the heart like a dagger each time, and feelings of deep vexation and irrevocable despair choked her throat.

She knew she couldn't make him feel anything for her. She had to get Randall out of her life, out of her heart, out of her mind. But how?...