Chapter 18

The way they reached the mountains and settled surprised Anna a bit. Randall and Bernardo were always whispering and arguing about something as soon as it came to paying for travel, buying food, and camping supplies.

Anna suspected that the guys did not have enough cash for the trip and several times unsuccessfully tried to find out the situation. What made matters worse was that she had very little money left, having calculated everything wrong. Earlier she asked Randall to help her, and she would have paid him back indeed, but he was waving hands, telling her not to worry about money at all, that he had everything under control.

Still, every time Randall frowned about the money matters, she had a terrible sense of hopelessness and a desire to help that could not be fulfilled. Anna went on inquiring if everything was all right, to which she received a snorting "Enough, Anna, everything is under control." Still, Randall and Bernardo's disgruntled faces overshadowed the whole trip.

"Why do we even need these mountains? I should have stayed in the house and just walk everywhere." She exhaled.

But seeing the Milan Mountains, Anna immediately understood why. They were unspeakably great. When they finally reached the place, her eyes witnessed the breathtaking scenery. The Bergamo Alps were lined with a vast number of paths that climbed to the top.

"Serio!" Bernardo shouted into Anna's ear and pointed to the waterfall in the distance.

"The highest waterfall in Europe, baby," Randall added, dropping the bags on the ground. "Ten thousand cubic meters of water falling, just imagine!"

Anna made a disbelieving gesture with her eyes and raised an eyebrow.

"For real!" Randall laughed, remembering what little credit he had as a guide. "And behind it is just a super valley called Maslana. You'll be thrilled. We will go there."

"Yeah, I love waterfalls," Bernardo muttered in the affirmative.

"Where are we even?" she asked admiringly, looking around.

"En route to Rifugio Curo," Randall explained. "You'll see. But first, we have to eat."

"Let's eat in the valley. I'm too lazy to cook," offered Bernardo with a drawling voice for the more remarkable confirmation of fatigue.

"Bernardo, I need to talk to you for a sec." Randall's smile faded. "Anna, just a minute."

Guys went off the grid. Anna sighed sadly. She was sure that the money matter had come up again. Surely to "eat in the valley" wasn't cheap since Randall got so down. Friends returned in a few minutes, and Anna did not expect mood swings - Randall was simply glowing.

"You can try the casoncelli in the valley. It's a local ravioli. You'll like it. And they make great polenta."

What a drastic change.

"Meaty! I love meaty!" Bernardo was also in a good mood.

"Meat?" Anna snorted. "I'm a vegetarian!"

The men froze. It was clear that they found some ingenious way to solve the financial conflict and were willing to fork out for the Bergamo lunch, and then Anna, with her gastronomic remark, destroyed everything.

"Oh." that's all Randall could get out.

"What is this 'vetarian' thing?" Bernardo asked simply.

Anna could not help but notice the comical note of the whole situation and burst out laughing. Randall caught up, and they both, barely glancing at the calm Bernardo, who was waiting for clarification, again rolled up laughing until he frowned and said:

"So, I see you have fun. But my stomach is already cramping with hunger, so I advise you to start climbing into the valley."

Randall took Anna's arm and blurted out:

"Yes, of course, we go. I'm starving, too."

He approached Anna's ear and whispered seductively: "We will think of something on the spot, for sure there will be a replacement for the meaty for the 'vetarians.'"

He winked and kissed her, lightly tapping her lips. That shocked the girl, but again they laughed, leaping. Bernardo shrugged his shoulders.