Chapter 52

Anna stood on the balcony, breathing in the fresh air. It was late, and to her left, the sea rustled. The beach was plunged into darkness, and the sand seemed to have forgotten its usual ochre shades, reflecting only the gloomy mood of the night. Occasional raindrops were falling, trying even under the cover of night to remain undetected.

Teo knocked lightly on the doorway so as not to frighten the girl by invading her thoughts. But she still shuddered slightly when she discovered his presence.

"Want to be alone?" he asked calmly.

Anna turned to him.

"No," she smiled, afraid to hurt him. "Of course not. Join me."

Teo walked to the balcony and lit a cigarette. No matter how much Anna peered into his mysterious face, she could not read the emotions he was portraying even in the light of the full moon. Was he happy? Glad? Upset? Disappointed? It reflected none of these traits in his calm expression.

"I see you've settled the situation with our engaged couple," he said with a smile.

"Oh, I hope I have! I was ashamed that Rand..." she stammered, fearing the reaction of Teo to the name, but the lad's face, though he realized what she was about to say, has not changed.

"I'm glad everyone's okay," he commented. "And tomorrow we have grand plans, and Leticia will join the adventure."

"What plans?"

"It is a surprise!"

"I do not like surprises!" pouted Anna. "Come on, tell me now!"

Teo hurried to finish his smoke break to avoid explanations.

"Time for bed!" he joked paternally. "Bedtime!"

"Bed?" Anna raised an eyebrow. "You're crazy! What bed! We're going to the beach!"

"We are what?"

"Riding to the beach!" Anna grabbed him by the arm and began to drag force from the balcony outside because the idea did not inspire him much.

However, after some effort and impressive kicks, she pushed Teo into the street.

"I'm cold. Get in the car."

"Weakling!" she exclaimed jokingly.

"Weakling?! Look what you're wearing and look at me! Sweater vs. Vest? Get in the car, Mademoiselle!"

Comparing their outfits, Anna agreed that the night beach would look like an iceberg to him in this tight black T-shirt and black shorts. But the possibilities of her acrylic sweater he still exaggerated. She walked to the car, making unhappy faces.

"Won't you open the door for me to get in the car, sir?"

"Not this car," Teo smirked and smiled slyly, "that one."

He pointed to the half-light by the lantern BMW 740Li that stood in the yard's corner.

"What? Noooo." Anna didn't believe her eyes.

There was a signalization sound, and Teo rang the keys in front of her nose.

"A ride?"

"Aaaaaa! Of course!" the girl clapped her hands.

Teo beamed, clearly pleased with her obvious reaction to the luxury car.

They got into the auto, and a wave of questions rained down on him about how he had such a car when he bought it and why he hadn't given her a ride before. Teo only smiled at her banter but was extremely pleased that such a small thing dispelled her bad mood, and he was happy to be a part of it.

The car belonged to his late father. After his death, he inherited it. He liked to drive a Mercedes more because it was a car he had earned himself, and he knew its price. BMW came in handy to dispel the clouds hanging over the villa due to recent events.

Teo drove her around the streets at night, and it was incredible. The same feeling of arrant confidence in how he drove made the girl completely relax and trust him. She looked around. Night Milan fascinated her.

All depressive thoughts dissipated in the air. She observed Teo—so peaceful and... smiling.

He smiled. Sight rare but meaningful much. He could not hide that he was glad of her presence. He was happy that she had agreed to give him a chance, and he was willing to do anything to keep her from changing her mind. But right now, he was just glad that he could bring her smile, and he smiled at it himself.

They stopped at some diner selling fast food through a window at night hours. While Teo was ordering the pizza, Anna stood by the car and tried to arrange her hair, ruffled by the wind, while riding around the city.

A couple of guys drinking beer on a bench nearby and, surely far from being shy, whistled in her direction comments and questions with the standard "Where do you dress up so neat, chick?", "Come with us, eh?" and so on.

Teo took the pizza and shouted back to the group, "She's mine, you losers!" He showed them the known sign from his fingers and quietly got into the car. Anna quickly jumped after him, fearing that the young people under the influence of alcohol would get angry, and there would be a fight. But those only sprinkled different "courtesy" in response, without a hint of a serious counter-attack.

Anna looked at Teo with displeasure, though inside, she felt a certain pride in the short sentence he had thrown at them.

"Pizza!" Teo licked his lips and held out the box to her. "It is vegetarian. Save a piece for me."

"I'll eat everything! And be fat!"

"Well, I've always liked the fat ones," he muttered.

"Oh, really? So I'm not your type now?"

"You are, to be honest, a little bony and silly. And you snore a lot at night. But generally, everything's fine."

"What?" Anna laughed. "I did not expect such a roast! I thought I was striking you with my beauty!"

"Never mind. You just have to eat more pizza. And then you'll strike me with your beauty. I will wait."

After receiving a couple of slaps, Teo started the car, and they turned towards the beach.