Chapter 34

The answer from him came only a week later, and the events after that changed all of Anna's life upside down.

It was Tuesday—the day she would never forget once she tried. She had just finished her classes, and the endless cycle of working days, as often happened, alienated her from close contact with the people around her. It was the price of a career. When the focus shifts to money, the other spheres of life always suffer.

However, Anna tried from time to time to write to her mother and close friends a standard message asking about their life turmoil and, in turn, included a brief "report" about her own.

Randall, it would seem, gone for good, and if she weren't so busy, the offense would drown her. However, the days without their communication flew by rather quickly, leaving her no chance to complain.

His casual "Hello, beautiful" came at noon. Anna read the message and smiled. Finally.

She dialed his number without hesitation. After a couple of beeps, his sweet voice already welcomed a girl so casually that it seemed they parted only yesterday.

"Where are you lost?" Anna half-joked.

"Oh, here and there!" Randall said, obviously chewing something. Anna immediately imagined him smiling and talking to her with his mouth full. "How are you doing?"

"It's all okay, just a lot of work. I've been given a lot of classes and a lot of tutoring, plus to that. And you?"

"Great! I'm in Garth-city!"

"You what?" Anna thought she had misheard.

"I'm in Garth!" Randall repeated and laughed. "Are you surprised? I came to teach. Puck didn't tell you?"

"He did not... He didn't say anything. How comes? Why didn't you say anything? How long have you been in Garth?"

"Why, only for a week!"

"A week?! You promised to come to me!"

"Hey! Easy, girl! And I will keep my promise! I won't be here long. I'll make some money and come to you. I said we'd meet together again, so we will. Calm down, beautiful!"

"Randall, I'm just unpleasantly surprised. You could have told me you were going to Garth. Why all the secrecy!"

"No secrecy. You're busy now. You've just started a new job in a new place. I didn't mean to upset you. You would start complaining that I'm going to the Garth and not directly to you. I need to earn green, and many people were waiting for me. I promised to come again."

"Many girls, you mean?"

Randall chuckled.

"Both boys and girls. What is the jealousy about?"

"Did you have sex with someone?"

"Em... Anna, why such a question!"

"Did you have sex with someone?"

"Anna!"

"Answer me, please!"

There was silence on the other end of the line.

"Oh, Randall, you did!" Anna finished the phrase in horror. "You did sleep with someone!"

"Uhm... Anna, you're acting weird. Yeah, I had sex, but you..."

"Oh, my God!"

Anna felt herself losing balance. The impact was so strong that in her head, all clouded. Instead of the voice of Randal, continuing to say something, she heard only some hum. She had never fainted in her life, and now she seemed to look at herself from the side—weakened, falling to the floor, hot tears streaming down her cheeks without bringing her to senses.

"Anna? Anna?" was coming from a phone dropped on the floor.