Chapter 90

Mark turned around. In the door stood a dumbfounded waiter with a glass of vodka, and Emilia. She stood stock-still, the horror of what she had heard piercing her very being. They met eyes, and the next moment Emilia, turning over a tray with a glass of vodka, ran out. There were shouts and curses.

Mark didn't run after her. He drooped and sank heavily into the corner of the balcony between the railings.

Anna stood in utter shock. From the whole scene, she could not even move. Mark looked up and stared at her.

"I'll tell you something, Anna. The day we called, and I invited you over for vacation, I bought a wedding ring. You didn't let me finish what I was to tell you on the phone, but I was going to propose to you. I had hoped so much that you would agree to come, and I would ask your forgiveness for everything—for leaving you so meanly and cowardly, for chasing empty things instead of looking forward to the future with you. I prayed to God that you would forgive me. I could make things right and beg you to marry me, so I would never lose you again. But, look at how things turned out... You came, but not to me, fell in love again, but not with me, and I got so depressed. I was beside myself with jealousy and anger. So one night, when I was pretty drunk at work, I slept with Emilia. She stayed with me that night. In the morning, she saw a box with a ring on the table, and I proposed to her. I didn't care about anything."

He looked down again and was silent.

At that moment, Anna wished the earth would open and swallow her.