Chapter 26

"My legs hurt!" groaned Anna, failing to hide her satisfaction.

"Poor thing!" Randall sympathized, putting on his clothes and grinning.

They walked out of the room to the smell of baking. Marla, her children, and Bernardo had already settled at the kitchen table and, gobbling up the freshly baked bagels, discussed something animatedly. They smiled happily, seeing Anna and Randall awake, and invited them to the table.

The morning was in conversations about family, politics, and weather. Anna only smiled blankly and then left the company altogether, deciding that it was time to charge the phone and check the incoming mail finally.

As soon as the screen lit up, notifications flashed, and Anna grimaced. She was sure they were from students, their parents, or still anything work-related. She skimmed through the numerous letters, trying to pay attention to the most important ones, but an incoming call interrupted her work. "Mark" flashed the screen.

Anna doubted for a moment whether she should pick up.

"Hello!" she mumbled as cheerfully as she could.

"Anna!" a half-shout sounded in the receiver. "I almost went crazy! I bombarded your phone trying to reach you! You okay?"

"What's wrong, Mark? You know I'm on vacation in Italy. I told you."

"You just forgot to mention that you disconnect on vacation!"

"Mark, I.."

"Thank God, you're okay! How is vacation going? You're having such a good time. You don't think about me at all?"

"Of course, I remember about you," the girl replied in confusion. "But you're all right? Some strange reaction you have... I didn't think you cared if we were in touch or not."

"Wow!" Mark exhaled. "It is important to me, Anna. If you hadn't decided to go to Italy, I'd be holding you in my arms right now, apologizing for all the pain I've caused you."

Was that Mark on the phone?? What was going on!

"Mark. Are you drunk?"

"A little," came the reply. "But that means nothing. I'd say the same thing sober."

"Oh, right. Get some rest. I almost believed all that nonsense."

The tone of Mark changed instantly to hostile.

"Nonsense? Really! Do you think I don't feel anything? I waited for you at Christmas. I wanted to make you my w... You know what..."

"Mark! I'm off!"

"Don't put the phone down! I love you! Come back to me, Anna!"

"You're drunk. Goodnight."

Anna abruptly pressed "End Call." Her heart was pounding wildly. Mark's voice was in her ears. The familiar pain pierced her with a seemingly new force. She ran out of the room right into Randall, who was walking towards her.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, easy, pretty lady!" he exclaimed, picking up the girl as he walked. "What's your hurry?"

Anna looked into his eyes. She was shaking.

"What's wrong?" Randall got concerned when he saw her condition.

"I love you, Randall. You love me too, don't you?" Anna began to cry and clung to him.

He hugged her and held her tighter.

"Everything will be fine. Everything's going to be okay. Calm down, dear."