Сhapter 45

"What a charming place!" Anna was genuinely delighted when they occupied the table.

"My favorite," Teo nodded, smiling. "I used to come here as a child."

Inside it was noisy but fun. Emotionally, as real Italians, people discussed news in the world and politics, everyday problems, and joys. Ricardo and Teo were actively involved in casual conversations, gesturing, and proving their point of view. Anna watched all this action with warmth and calmness.

"And now we invite Mateo Reez to the stage!" yelled a sweaty man with a microphone in his hands. The crowd roared in delight.

"What? Noooo!" Teo protested as soon as he heard his name.

"Te-o! Te-o! Te-o!" all cafe shouted in unison, applauding.

Wow, Teo is known in this place, as well as outside of it, Anna thought in surprise.

"Teo! Get on the stage, you lazy performer!" some signor encouraged.

Everyone laughed, and Teo, flattered by the attention, reached a well-worn scene in two jumps, grabbing the guitar on the move, which the waitress handed to him.

"What would you like to hear today, ladies and gentlemen?" he smiled, responding to a welcome of clapping hands and whistling.

"Whatever, just play already!" shouted one company. "Cose della vita!" the others were screaming louder.

"Sing to your girlfriend!" Ricardo shouted, causing Anna to blush for a second and kick him under the table.

"Yes, sing to her!" the crowd echoed. "Come on, Cose della vita!"

{Eros Ramazzotti—Cose della vita—author's note}

"Your wish is my command!" Teo nodded and masterfully commenced the famous Italian song.

All cafe customers were ecstatic. Anna didn't know the song, but from the first seconds, Teo's voice, as before, fascinated her. He looked her straight in the eye, making her blush even more and smile in embarrassment, as the crowd, believing they were a couple, whistled and encouraged him to change words by saying Anna's name.

No matter how wrong and awkward it looked, inside, Anna was pleased about such attention. He sang only for her. She saw it, felt it. He made it clear to everyone present, and he was proud of it. She's never been the center of anyone's world, even for several minutes.

She smiled broadly, and in her eyes, Teo read sincere gratitude. He smiled back and played the last chord, joking that he was actually singing the song for Ricardo. The crowd roared with laughter and, as he descended from the stage, thanked him and patted him on the shoulder as he made his way to the table where Anna and Ri were sitting.