Chapter 48

Anna dropped the call. Randall called back immediately. Through the welling tears, she answered:

"Hello."

"Anna! I can't believe it!" Randall shouted into the phone. "Why don't you read my DMs! I have been writing into the void for a few days!"

"I left my phone at home. I took one from my friend to talk to you..."

"From that brainless Ricardo. Anna, I just can't believe it! Surely in your mind, you could not come up with anything less sophisticated than making up with Teo, whom I hate!"

"What?"

"Teo told me you were together, Anna. You didn't take long to get rid of such a deep love for me, did you?"

"Randall, how dare you say that! I guess Teo just said that because he doesn't feel the need to explain anything to you, but since you're talking nonsense, I guess there's no smoke without fire!"

"Anna, listen to me and don't you dare to hang up, or I'll come and smash Teo's face. You do not understand what you're getting into. Now listen to me. And be quiet, please. Are you crying? Anna!"

Anna sobbed so much that Randall's voice was lost in the background.

"Anna, please stop crying. Anna! Listen to me! I'm in Milan. I'll come to his villa today and pick you up. You're not staying there, you understand me?"

"Randall!"

"You understand me? Pack your bags and be ready by half-past five. These adventures must end. You know little about where you're going or who you're with. Teo's not the one you're supposed to be around. I hate him not just because he's stealing my tourists, Anna! Stop crying; you're listening to me or not!? Anna!"

"Leave me alone, Randall, go to your chick!" Anna shouted through her sobs. "Who are you to treat me like an object? I'm not going anywhere with you!"

"Listen to me, silly!" Randall shouted, barely holding back his emotions. "Anna, darling, listen to me. Teo's a dangerous man! You need to stay away from him, and it's not about us, me, or the chicks. It's about your safety!"

Anna could not even say a word more. She wept and did not even struggle with tears.

Teo entered the room, took the phone from her in one decisive motion, and pressed "End."

"This conversation is over," he muttered angrily. "Come here."

It was difficult for him to pull Anna away from the back of the sofa, which she was grabbing sharply to give vent to tears. He put his arm around her shoulders, led her into the bathroom, and washed her face. She continued crying, and he patiently wiped fresh tears with a towel again and again.

"Leave me, Teo," she squeezed out.

"Never," he whispered.

"Hey, children! I'm home!" they heard the playful voice of Ricardo entering the house.

"Go to Ri," Anna came up with an excuse. "Teo, please, I need to be alone now."

Teo stood up.

"I'll give you a few minutes while I go say Hello."

At the door, he stopped and turned to say:

"He's not worthy of you, Anna. Whatever he told you in conversation, he's not worthy of your tears."

"He said he was coming to pick me up at five-thirty, Teo," Anna paused.

Teo's face changed.

"What did you just say?"

"Randall's coming here..."

"You're wrong about that." Teo's eyes were full of anger. "I'll kill him on the way here."

"What? Teo, don't say such things!" suddenly, under the influence of what Randall said to her about Teo, Anna got frightened and ran to him, grabbing him by the hand.

"Please don't be silly, Teo! If he comes, I'll go out and send him on his merry little way. That's all. Please, Teo!"

Teo suddenly pulled his hands away from Anna and pushed her away.

"You'll learn to respect me, Anna. And that man won't be here. Mark my words."

"Teo!" Anna was crying again, and despair and fear gripped her entire being. "Teo. Please stop saying that, Teo!"

"Stay in the room, Anna," his voice was unrecognizable. "Ricardo and I will go for a ride, and you shall stay here waiting for us."

He left the room abruptly, slamming the door. Voices were heard, and both guys quickly went. Anna rushed after them but found Teo had locked the door. She stood in the middle of the hall, strained by dread, unaware of what was happening, and it terrified her. She felt she was missing something important, but her brain refused to think about anything at all.

She ran out onto the balcony and looked down. Teo and Ricardo's car was gone. There were guards at her front door and near the gate.

The gate was locked.

Indeed, she didn't seem to know what she was getting into.