Chapter 6

It was a dull, unfriendly day. The overcast sky threateningly looked through Garth citizens' windows, as if reminding them of the intention to change the mood at its discretion. Anna shivered and closed the window.

It was madly enjoyable to observe how the rain, as if forcing the trees to take a shower, drenched them with water tirelessly. Branches caved in underwater weight, wearily staring back at you, complaining of today's share of an unexpected thunderstorm.

Anna sighed, thinking about the pile of things that she had to do and the slush that would stand for several days, spoiling the walks.

"I am going to the capital," a calm voice came from behind.

Anna mechanically turned back and lit up. Mark. Gorgeous as he was, he stood in the door aisle. His expression was strange and suddenly frightened the girl away, but she said with a note of bewilderment in her voice:

"It is excellent, Mark! When?"

"In a week."

"For how long?"

"Forever."

It dumbfounded Anna. The reality of her lover's words stunned her even less than the look on his face when he mumbled the news. He remained quiet. She even felt he was glad. Confused, she wondered:

"Am I coming?"

Mark took her by hand and led her into the hall.

"No, you are staying, Anna," he muttered. "You only do not worry, all right? If we are meant to be together, we will be. You said that yourself before, didn't you?"

"Didn't I..." Anna echoed. Tears appeared in her eyes.

Mark hugged and kissed her. He talked incessantly about the destiny that they could again be together, that he would make a living, that he was suffocating here. He tried to explain everything, looked into her eyes, but she read only emptiness in them. It was as if she wasn't with him. The shock swallowed her up.

He was hurt and somber, but something inside him moved to all these words, actions, and reactions. All evening he embraced and kissed her. But Her Majesty Destiny decreed that this time was the last which Mark and Anna spent together as a loving couple. It was not meant to be.

"I love you, Mark, and I wish you all the best," Anna said on the platform, seeing him off.

"And I love you too, dear Anna, and I hope for a future meeting. Let's be in touch, shall we?" Mark was anxious.

"Sure," she smiled.

Love is patient, love is kind. Is it?

Anna waved to Mark, who was smiling back.

"Sure," she repeated to herself under her breath and headed to the exit.