Chapter 33

It was the fastest interview of her life. Without asking many questions, a kind school director just checked the diploma, awards, and documents and announced the terms of cooperation and remuneration.

Anna thought she had misheard it- the number of zeros in the salary was just too good to be true. With a boss attitude and making a half-satisfied grimace, she rolled her eyes as if wondering whether such a meager wage would suit her, and agreed. The director beamed, and they shook hands, parting until next week.

As soon as she left the building, Anna dialed Mark's number and shouted into the phone.

"I got it! I got a job!! I am staying in Mining!"

On the other end, she heard a satisfied chuckle.

"I'm so happy for you, really," said Mark. "It's a big step forward. Someday you'll be the headmaster of this very school."

"No brainer!" Anna laughed. "But I'm so happy! Now I need to find a place to live since everything is going so well!"

"I already said you could live with me," Mark repeated and, clearing the throat, added, "if you like."

"Mark, thank you so much, but I don't want to be a burden. I'm eternally grateful for everything, but I want to live on my own."

"With him, you mean."

"What?"

"You will live with him."

"Mark, I meant..."

"Listen, I have a call on the second line. We'll talk later. Congratulations again."

He hung up. The smile faded from the girl's face. All the happiness was washed off in a second.

She knew that everything was going wrong, strange, but she didn't know what to do or how to stop it.

The occurred kissing scene both diligently tried to ignore as if the event didn't take place at all. Nothing more than that happened. Yet, ignoring the apparent tension made their communication complicated, unclear. Who are they? What was that? What for?

Anna understood nothing. Instead, she opened a chat message and wrote:

"We will always be together. You and me."

The message was marked "Read."

But Randall answered nothing.