Chapter 47

The next few days passed without the slightest remark on romance. Teo was as reserved as ever. Despite Anna's pleas, he took the weekend off from work and devoted time to sightseeing with the girl. Ricardo left to meet Leticia, and the meeting dragged on for a couple of days. All this time, Anna and Teo rode or wandered around Milan.

It was a completely different journey from what she had with Randall. There was no sunny mood and sparkling jokes, fooling around with friends, and freedom in everything. Teo made a very different impression on her. Although he and Randall were the same age, Teo behaved like an accomplished man. It was in everything—in his manner of speaking, of holding on, of acting. There was a weight of responsibility on him that made him grow up so early, and Anna wanted to find out what it was.

"Teo," she began as they sat in the hall. Teo was going through the guitar chords, writing a new track, and she was sitting next to him for what she imagined was moral support. She was distracting him constantly, but she despised the idea of going to sleep. "Tell me, does this mansion belong to you?"

"It was my father's," he responded, holding a pencil in his mouth and humming a tune.

"Does your father live here with you? Where is he now?"

"He died." Teo removed his pencil and looked at Anna. She blushed.

"Sorry, I..."

"No problem. It was a long time ago. My father was everything to me, and his death was a real blow to our family. My mother was left alone with us—three children—and she struggled a lot. As the eldest son, I inherited all dad's bills, family responsibilities, and all the other joys of his road when I was thirteen. Since then, I have worked to provide our entire family with food, give my brother and sister a decent education, and give my mother peace. I'm helping as much as I can."

"God, I'm sorry, Teo, I'm really sorry I asked."

"It's okay. I still think I'm doing infinitely little. As for the villa, I don't want to sell it because of my father's memory. Plus, it's a beautiful place. I am somewhat attached to Milan because of family circumstances. But the idea of renting the villa to tourists gave me a bunch of new friends from around the world, new experiences, and emotions. Among those who come, there are many musicians and other artistic personalities. To invite them here and show the city to me is real happiness."

"And you have a favorite job. You're a musician."

"Exactly. Music and I are one, and the audience feels it because..."

The phone rang. Teo paused and answered the phone.

"Yeah, yeah..." he muttered into the phone, and the emotions on his face changed at a furious rate. "I'll tell her."

Suddenly he looked darkly at Anna. She startled. When he put the phone in his pants pocket, she asked:

"What's up?"

Teo was silent for a moment but answered:

"Ricardo called. He and Leticia will be here tomorrow."

"Great news, right? What then..."

"And he also said that he got a call from a friend that you obviously corresponded with on Ri's phone, and that friend was vulgar, demanding of you, and ruined the date with Leticia."

Anna's breath got caught in her chest.

"Did he say who he was? Who was it?"

Teo came close to Anna and looked into her eyes.

"He wanted me to tell you to get in touch with him. He shouted that it was a matter of life and death. I think you should call him, Anna. I'll dial his number, and you can talk."

In a moment, he handed her his phone with the outgoing call named "Randall Parleo."

Teo took the guitar and left the room.