Chapter 28

<~~~~~~~~~~>

(Unedited)

My eyes are blinded by the headlights. Not being able to react in the state I'm in, I shut my eyes tightly, waiting for the impact. After a few moments of silence, I open one eye to see someone climb out of the driver seat.

"Holy shit! Chrissy! Are you okay?" Hunter exclaims. "You know how dangerous that is? To run onto the street like that?" he says as he runs up to me. "Oh, shoot. Why are you crying?" he asks when he gets closer, but I don't answer.

I don't have the energy to answer. Even though, I feel exhausted, the tears just keep coming down.

He looks at me for a few more seconds before putting a hand on my back. "Hey, come with me." He leads me to his car, opening up the passenger door, and closing it after I get in. I put on my seat belt and pull my knees up to my chest, leaning against the window. When he gets into the car, he takes off his jacket and places it on me like a blanket. By the time Hunter starts the car, I've calmed down a bit and I'm already fast asleep.

-----------

"It was just a game of fake dating." he growls at me.

I want to cry and look away from him, but I can't. My body is frozen.

He looks at me and smirks. "You're nothing but a piece of garbage I could care less about," he tells me and walks away, leaving me alone.

Out of nowhere, a pair of headlights come my way. The car doesn't stop or slow down--

I jolt awake and gasp, placing one hand on the soft cushion material under me and the other up to my forehead. Sweat covers my hand and I feel like I just walked out of a sauna.

Hunter quickly walks up to me with a glass of water in hand. "Hey, hey...you're okay," he says as he kneels beside me. My heart beats like crazy and I try to catch my breath. Glancing around, I realize that I'm in Hunter's house. He hands me the glass and I take a gulp. "How are you feeling?"

"I- I feel really tired," I try to tell him, but my voice is gone.

"I know. You slept for 3 hours," he replies and chuckles.

"Sorry," I say and he shakes his head.

"Don't be sorry. I'm just glad you're alive. I could've killed you," he says and frowns. "Good thing I have fast reflexes. But you should really watch where you go."

I nod and he offers me a smile. "I'll go order us some pizza for dinner. You must be starving. Also, drink more water. It'll help with your voice."

I thank him before he leaves the area into another room. I'm sat on his couch with a blanket over my legs and a pillow at the end. Was I that tired that I don't even remember getting put here?

I place the glass on the coffee table near the couch before pulling out my phone from my bag which is placed beside the couch and from instinct, I type a text to let my mom know I'm at a friends house before I stop myself and realize that her and dad are out of town again.

After deleting the message, I look at my notifications. All of them from Noah. A bunch of miss calls, voicemails, and texts.

'I'm sorry' one reads.

'Please can we talk?'

'Where are you?'

'Please Chrissy, I'll explain.'

'You're not at home. Where are you?'

I roll my eyes at the texts and I click to listen to one of the voicemails. I press the speaker button.