twenty-three

november 25 1989-- 

the two boys were sitting beside each other, both drinking milkshakes and enjoying their company. they were giggling at richie's terrible jokes and getting dirty looks from large amounts of people. not because of them being together, just because of how loud they were being. when richie said something about bill and stan, eddie screamed. every single person looked at them and gave them disappointed looks. of course, richie and eddie cared. they didn't want to disrupt anyone's day or dates. so, they tried to be quieter. it only resulted in them being louder. after a while, they got kicked out. 

"you loud ass boys get out of this diner until you understand what the fuck 'be quiet' means!" a man who appeared quiet tall and slim. his name tag said scott clarke. 

"yes yes, whatever we'll shut up." richie said as he walked onto the sidewalk. richie held out a hand for eddie, who happily took it. they both smiled at each other and began to run. they had no idea where they were running to, but they knew they wouldn't get lost. they had their absolute best and most reliable source with them. their brains. so, of course, they were in very good hands... right? of course they were not going to get lost and uh... well, you'll find out. 

as they ran and ran, holding hands, richie's shoelaces became untied.

what a tripping hazard richard. like, what the fuck? can't anyone tie their shoelaces tight enough so that they wouldn't get loose?

as the two were running, both not noticing how richie's right shoelace was untied, eddie stepped on the untied lace. the two boys fell to the ground, their hands became separated, and banged their chins on the sidewalk. 

"ah fuck, i can't believe you've done this." eddie said rolling his eyes as he raised his right hand to touch his chin.

"hey. eds don't touch it." richie said as he looked over at eddie's bleeding chin. there was a deep cut, probably in need of stitches. "you might get it infected." richie rolled over and sat up. he went to grab one of eddie's hands to help him get off the ground. the smaller one refused the hand and got up by himself. 

"i don't need your help chee." 

"oh, ya of course. is your chin okay?" eddie laughed.

"does it look okay?"

"no. so, do you wanna head to my place and get that cleaned up. we can continue our adventure after. if you want, you don't need to. and, and, i don't think we should run." richie got down on one of his knees and laughed to himself. he began to tie his shoelace. "or maybe i should just tie my shoes better." eddie laughed.

"okie then. to your house." he giggled. he cringed at the pain from smiling. "wow, it even hurts to smile."

"aww babe, i'm going to get that cut all nice and clean." eddie blushed at the use of babe, but he didn't want to object to it. "is it okay if i say babe? i mean we aren't dating, and that's fine i guess, so-" eddie cut him off.

"i don't mind." they smiled at each other.

"if you think this is some sort of evil plan to get me to stop calling you eds, it's not going to work." 

"oH sHiT i'Ve bEeN eXpOsEd!" eddie cried sarcastically, raising his arms up into the air. richie took the opportunity, and picked up the smaller one and threw him gently over his shoulder. "ah you stupid son of a bitch! put me down chee! i'm gonna puke-"

"no you're not. i can tell you are being dramatic eds." eddie pouted and rolled his eyes.

"don't call me eds." 

"sorry dude. i can't stop." 

"hey! don't call me dude!" eddie blew into richie's ear in hopes he would be let down.