1 Process

"It's fucking raining men here." Alex mumbles, hiding herself in her horrendously big hoodie. I never understood the fascination in those things. Quite honestly, she looks like she's sick and hasn't been out of bed for days, no, years.

"I know, right?" Cindy smiles enthusiastically, turning to face us only for a slip of a second before continuing to walk in front of us. "And it smells like heaven."

"Not really." I mutter and scrunch up my nose at the smell of alcohol and cigarettes. The cafe is newly opened and looks polished, but the faint smell of nicotine in the air brings me to my senses that this isn't a place where young college girls like us should be. "Cin, why did you bring us here?"

The men seated on the high bar stools and long, dark purple booths seem to have caught on to the fact that there are three, and only, women lurking around the place, as if our heads are in the skies. I was uncomfortable when we entered, but now I just feel like a prey.

"I have to find my brother. He has the keys to the house and I certainly wasn't planning on entering alone." She scoffs and proceeds to turn her head in every possible direction, to even catch a glimpse of her brother.

"Are you sure he's here?" Alex asks suspiciously, just like me, not wanting to be in here.

"He texted me. I'm positive." Cindy glances at us once again and pulls my hand even more, creating a chain reaction as I'm holding on to Alex, so she drags behind me.

The hungry eyes of men around us follow us like animals, and I just bow my head to stare at the brand new tiles of this cafe. It is extremely long, as we have been walking for more than ten minutes, trying to find that curly boy. Cindy seems to know her way around here, as she maneuvers through the people easily and quickly.

"Case!" She yells in front of me and I raise my head just in time to spot that flop of hair, leaning on the wall next to an entrance to what looks like yet another part of this cafe. Her brother looks up at the voice and he seems less than pleased when he spots the three of us struggling to get to him.

Cindy lets go of my hand and envelops her brother in a hug. He might be a year younger, but he's as tall as all the guys I know, and he definitely changed this summer.

"Damn, Cin, what are you feeding him?" I hoot as I walk over to the two of them. Case just sends me a glare, as if he already knows what I'm about to do. I raise my hand and before he can swat it away, I ruffle his curls, grinning at his expression.

"Man, I sure missed you, Kat." He says with blunt sarcasm in his voice, removing my hand from his scalp.

"Have you been working out? You look like a snack." I eye him and he rolls his eyes, but there's no denying that a faint blush spreads over his cheeks.

"Yeah, your boyfriend has been helping me in the gym." He says, once again decorating his sentence with sarcasm and I don't miss it, seeing as I narrow my eyes at him instantly.

"Now, let's not use that word." Alex says from behind me, her tone more serious than Case's was. The boy just raises his hands in surrender, but not before sending me a wicked smile.

I know exactly who he's referring to, but just like Alex, I'm not fond of that word. Boyfriend. Things between Wes and I have been awfully good. I'd like to find a flaw in our way of handling ourselves, but there really is none. I was afraid I had hurt him, back when I refused his proposal of a real relationship, but I simply wasn't ready and that was actually the very last thing on my mind. Actually, it possibly wasn't even on my mind. Wes is the first guy I've ever even considered the possibility of something more than just a fling, but neither of us is very experienced in that area. I highly doubt we're ready to put a label on whatever we have going on. It all seemed rushed, and to have something just waiting to be done as fast as possible is my least favorite thing in the world. I'm not patient, but I'm not impatient either. And when it comes to this, relationships, dating, I'd rather stall and wait then dive into something that could be cruicial for me, my heart.