8 Tipsy

The small coffee shop called Acey is a place where the girls and I would sometimes meet up and chat. It's quite a typical little place, with round tables and the smell of freshly baked cookies flowing through the air. It's simple yet so calming and it almost looks like it has fallen out of a movie. After Wes left I decided to go shopping so I just got back from the mall with my mom and told the girls that I would wait for them inside the coffee shop. Wes literally forgot about the boys staying at his place but luckily Mel had the key with him. As I approached the caffee I realised it's not exactly warm outside and I'd rather sit inside alone than get a cold. I absolutely hate being sick, like, I despise it.

I order myself a coffee and position myself in the corner of the spacey room, on a small table not far from the cashier. Crossing my leg over the other one, I sip the hot beverage, my eyes studying the people over the rim of the mug. People pass and walk in and out of the coffee place, oblivious to the chaotic life that our city brings us. If I didn't live here, I would probably laugh. It's funny how places like these, hidden and further away, feel like a different dimension. Actually, I have never minded the pace that New York has, but I still sometimes seek peacefulness. It's like needing a rest from school because sometimes all that stress and worry passes the limit that you can hold and then all you need is some relaxation and something to bring you back to the ground.

One guy in the line turns to look at me and I see his eyes focus on mine. I can see him studying me from over there but I decided not to hold the stare down because for all I know he might think I'm just a girl looking for attention by sitting alone in the corner of the coffee shop. But then he tilts his head and with a quick glance back to the front of the line, he starts making his way towards me. Now I don't want to sound skeptical but I do find it uncomfortable when he stops right in front of my table and glances down at me.

"Is this seat taken?" He nods to one of the empty chairs. He's a buff guy, but not in an unattractive way. His stuble shows he could be older than me but he looks pretty clean, considering the plain white shirt and black jeans he is sporting.

"My friends are coming soon -"

I don't get to finish my sentence, as he grabs the chair and swivels it around, making it land right under him as he sits on it. He crosses his legs at his ankles and leans back in the chair. I just look around to see if his abrupt action caused anyone to look our way, but nobody seems to have noticed.

"Um, not to be rude or anything, but it wouldn't hurt to ask if you can sit there?" I place my mug on the table, still holding it so it warms up my fingers.

"I asked if it was taken." He says and that's when I hear the faint, barely noticeable British accent in his voice.

"Yeah, but I never said you could sit down." I say a little more sternly. He smirks at my tone but clearly isn't fazed by it.

"Why would you sit alone?" He wonders.

"My friends are gonna come soon."

"How soon?" He looks down at his watch and I'm dumbfounded. I wouldn't say I'm scared, but I am stunned definitely. He has fast answers and questions that it leaves me speechless for a moment.

"Wh- Look, you're being pushy and that's pissing me off." At this, the guy looks up at me, his eyes searching my face.

"Fine. Let me be straightforward then." He leans on his elbows in the same time that I lean away. "I have a little task for you, Katherine."

My coffee almost runs up my throat when he says my name, so certain, like he doesn't even doubt that it's mine. My eyes widen at him when he starts speaking.

"But unfortunately, I can't tell you anything about it right now. You can clearly handle yourself so I'm positive it won't be a problem for you. It'll need my guidance, but I'll contact you when the time comes. For now, all you have to do is not ask questions or run your mouth around. Is that understandable?"