12 Accidents

Wes Blue

From the corner of my eye, I can see my cousin repeatedly open and close the laptop in front of him. After the hundredth time of hearing the closing sound, I groan and snatch it away from him. I'm just as mad but I'd rather not break any of my valuables.

"You wanna break it?" I grumble and he just rolls his eyes.

"I'm pissed." He grits through his teeth.

"At me?" Carter asks from beside him, his voice sounding almost scared.

"No, not at you, idiot." Mel shakes his head and leans his elbows on the coffee table.

"Right, Slip." Carter looks around at all of us but doesn't get a reaction. He knows he's right.

"Man, what was in that? I didn't ask for anything but -"

"Of course you didn't." I speak. "Whatever was inside, we never ordered it. C, how much did you pay him?"

"Them." He corrects me and Mel lets out another frustrated groan, his knuckles turning white from how hard he's gripping the table.

"He didn't even show his face. He never does. Who the fuck does he think he is?" Mel says.

"Man, I'm a just a tiny bit glad I've never met the dude." Adeen says as he continues to drink the water in his hand.

"I payed the usual. There was no difference in the price." Carter finally answers my question, ignoring both Mel and Adeen.

"Then what made me pass out? From what I know, weed doesn't do that. And we didn't even have much." I argue.

"Yeah. I got hazy very fast. That doesn't normally happen." Dave says.

Footsteps become audible as Dylan walks down the stairs with the last two bags. He drops them on the floor, right next to the door, and joins the conversation.

"You got any ideas on what was in the blunts yet?" He asks.

"No." Mel looks out of the glass door that leads to my garden, where my mom's flowers are slowly dying from the cold.

"Just a question. When do we leave?" Carter asks.

"Fifteen minutes or so." I check my watch quickly.

"You know what?" Dave says, contemplating his words. "I can't even remember if it tasted or smelled different."

"Do you really think he had something to do with this?" Carter speaks up and I twist the remote control in my hands.

"Isn't he the only one you got in trouble with?" Adeen asks.

"Exactly. Who else would it be?" I scoff and place the remote on the coffee table. "He's a petty little fuck."

"Yeah. He says everything's fine and sorted out and then does shit like this. To what? Prove a point?" Mel rubs his chin.

"What point?" Carter groans. I can see how agitated he's getting, probably because he thinks this is his fault. "Damon made sure to give back all the money that was owed."

"You think it's because of that?" Dylan raises his eyebrow while his eyes are set on his phone.

"He went apeshit during the summer. The thought of him killing me did actually cross my mind." Carter answers.