Chapter Forty Eight: Game Day

The next morning Sam was full of excitement.

"Hey Rufus wake up it's game day!" He shouted as he ran outside to see the sun rise. 

Rufus and June joined Sam on top of Reegan's ship when a small drone appeared flying above them, it turned sharply to hover in front of them. 

Candillice jumped out of the ship next to Sam just in time to see the drone's video screen showing the location and time of the game.

"It's the ancient canyon! the one that Tigris carved out centuries ago!" Sam said as he had seen it with his telescope from his room in the castle. The video showed a drone fly through of the canyon as though it were a tourism advertisement.

The words sunset and this day appeared on the screen.

"They have located our training grounds! And with such ease as well! Does any one else find this to be quite disconcerting?" Rufus exclaimed.

"It means they know where we have been all this time!" Carlyle remarked as he approached.

"Creepy!" Sam and Candillice exclaimed both at the same exact moment.

"I suspect they wish to hold the game at sundown so that the creatures of the underground may rise to view it," Tafficious stated.

"Means we get more time to train!" Sam exclaimed.

Hours later Kenneth's team was having a large nutritious meal. Adimniss them wait in their tent until upgrades to their flight suits were completed.

Adimniss had also had ordered Kenneth to wear one of these new flight suits.

"I'm wearing my white armour! She can shut her mouth and quit bossing me around!" Kenneth proclaimed.

"How is it that you do not fear her? I find myself often compelled to obey her. Who exactly is she White Knight?" Nabine asked.

"Listen she's no good and only I can protect you from her! That's all you need to know!" Kenneth explained and the freedom fighters accepted this explanation.

Kenneth proceeded to go over the game plans for different strategies. Many of them relied on brute strength. He categorized Sam's team by their weaknesses, all of which pointed to June being the weakest and Reegan the oldest. He even poked fun at Rufus for his being overweight calling him by a code name which was Rolly Polly.

Interrupting the strategy meeting, three short Virillian scientists in red lab coats handed them all their upgraded flight suits. They each put them on over top of their track suits as they continued to eat and discuss their plans.

Kenneth tossed the suit they had given him on the bench after they left, keeping on his own white armor.

"White Knight why is the prize that little statue? What is it?" Nabine asked.

"The stupid statue? It's got Quartz inside it or I dunno something? Everyone wants it for dark magic I think?" Kenneth explained.

"Dark magic?" Nabine asked. 

"Like this Sorcerer Sam uses?" Whiska questioned.

"Yeah. . . Adimn. . . er. . . Sam wants it and he's up to no good I'd bet he will cast a very powerful and dark spell as soon as he gets it!" Kenneth replied. 

He actually had little understanding why his father wished him to steal it and the freedom fighters had grown up outside the castle with no knowledge of the temple or its contents.