Chapter Fifty: The Truth About the Grotesques Revealed

At the north end of the Canyon, Nabine was hot on Candillice's tail trying to prevent her from protecting Sam's flank. 

Rufus watched as Whiska approached him but breathed a sigh of relief as she flew past him.

Whiska was headed straight for Candillice.

"I believe they are trying to pick us off one by one!" Carlyle stated to Rufus. 

"I'll deliver the flag to Samuel. Assist Candillice!" Rufus shouted to Carlyle.

"Them got's all the flags White Knight!" Malush shouted with frustration on his radio.

"Just let them do the work they have to give all the flags to one player! Most likely freak boy, I have a surprise here for him!" Kenneth replied as he looked into his pocket at the Genetic Harp.

Sam was alone and could not see anyone around him. 

He stopped to listen. 

He heard a faint sound, It was coming from the mouth of a giant statue of a man with a bird head. 

Sam suddenly felt that he was being watched. 

He looked up to see his cousin was hiding behind a pillar on the wall.

"It's in that things beak Papi! Swing us around to throw off Ken, we need back up before we go in there!" Sam whispered to Papilliowalayo.

Candillice was having trouble finding an opening to come to Sam's side. 

Whiska and Nabine took turns swinging their long hooklances and dive bombing at her. 

Things were getting dangerous, Candillice thought for sure she was going to be out of the game. Nabine came up from behind as Whiska gave a powerful charge from the front.

Within a foot of Candillice, Whiska's hooklance was stopped. 

Carlyle had grabbed it and was holding it back with the robot arm on the end of his own hooklance.

"Need a hand Princess?" Carlyle asked.

Whiska was a very strong Tigris. She growled at Carlyle while flexing her muscles trying to push him back. 

Candillice smiled but then she screamed when she looked up to see Nabine attacking Carlyle from above.

Carlyle avoided the attack.

"Ladies please be civil about this, I am a gentleman after all!" He said.

He positioned himself between the two Tigris girls and Candillice.

"Princess go to Sam I will attend to these two!" Carlyle stated.

She nodded and then flew away as fast as she could.

"I'm coming Sam!" She yelled into her wrist communicator.

"Great Candillice! I'm marking a rendezvous point, the red flag's in the beak of the bird man up ahead. Rufus and Reegan meet me there, Carlyle we need a distraction!" Sam communicated to his team.

"I am sorry my prince as I am quite overwhelmed at the moment," Carlyle explained as he was in a tense situation of defending against the attacks of Nabine and Whiska while at the same time preventing them from escaping to regroup with the rest of their team.

Candillice rushed over to Sam's side but she was out of breath and watching all around her for the next attack.

"I know where the flag's hidden but once I go get it they will be right on us!" Sam said.