Δ 18 Δ

eighteen

YUTO

               People say that the world has its own ways to take back the happiness that it has given to you. No matter how happy you were yesterday, in some ways it will be all taken away from you.

               Our night could’ve been perfect. She told me she likes me too and I was the happiest man on Earth right before she started having an allergy attack.

               I saw her gasping for air as if her body’s not receiving enough oxygen. The red rashes started appearing all over her skin and I couldn’t do something but to watch her in horror. Heck, I didn’t even catch her when she fell from her seat.

               “Hey Yuto. Relax will you?” Hongseok tries to calm my nerves. “She’s okay. She just had an allergy attack. It happened to her before. She’s gonna be fine.”

               “It’s my fault. I let her eat that. I should’ve known. I should’ve asked.” I mutter in frustration.

               “You guys are just starting to know each other and you didn’t know that she has a massive allergy to strawberries.” Hongseok explains carefully. He pats my shoulder and I gave him a tight smile.

               “I totally ruined the night for her. I’m sorry Hongseok.”

               “It’s okay. It’s not like it is your last date, is it?”

               “But it’s our first date.” I argued. “I can’t believe you’re being so nice to me. You could atleast punch me or something. I mean look at us, we’re in the hospital and it’s 1 am and your sister is in a hospital bed because of me.”

               “Yahh! Do you honestly think I’d be mad at you? Look, you have no idea about her allergies. Plus, my sister will disown me if she finds out I hurt you.” Hongseok laughs and I found myself smiling too. “It wasn’t your intention to hurt her and sometimes, we gotta stop blaming ourselves for the things that we have no control of. If it’s meant to happen then let it be. The only choice we have is how do we make the best out of it. How do we deal it. Do we put ourselves into burden or we do something to not let it happen again?”

               Hongseok is one of the most understanding person I met. He is very matured and knows how to look on both sides before deciding what to say or what to do.

               “Family of Miss Yang?” A doctor approaches both of us.

               “Yes. We are her family.” Hongseok replies politely. To be honest, I wasn’t expecting that. He just told the doctor that we are Kiel’s family. “How is my sister?”

               “So far, Miss Yang is resting now. You can visit her after this.” The doctor says. “She is now recovering from the allergy attack and the rashes will be gone in about two days. She can stay here for the meantime, for observation purposes.”

               “So there is nothing to worry about? What about her head? She fell pretty bad.” I try not to wince at the thought.

               “Just a small bump. But there is one thing I want to discuss with you two.” He takes a deep breath as he scans the papers on his hand. “Is Miss Yang having a hard time sleeping? We have diagnosed that her body had a large consumption of benzodiazepines that can be found in Sedative Hypnotics also known as—”

               “Sleeping pills.” I finish the statement.

               The night where I found about her sleeping pill bottles under her bed, I started researching about these drugs. It was a total mystery for me and I know it would be inappropriate if I ask her about it without her telling me first.

               “What do you mean she’s taking sleeping pills?” Hongseok asks in confusion.