XIV

“You’ll call me,” Harry says, holding my cheeks between his hands lightly. His beautiful eyes close and his lips press to mine.

“As soon,” he continues, kissing me again.

“As you’re,” he mumbles, kissing the corner of my mouth.

“Done with work,” he says, my lips smiling.

“Okay.”

He kisses my forehead and I climb out of his car, waving to him as I make my way into Greystone Publishing. My day is extremely boring and I continue writing a new manuscript about a new invention. I don’t know what it does due to my lack of technology knowledge.

After work, I walk home and call Harry, his phone left unanswered. I frown and set my phone on the bed, taking a shower and grabbing my laptop. I presume writing, my phone buzzing.

From: Harry

I’m sorry I didn’t answer. I have to talk to you.

To: Harry

It’s okay. What’s going on?

I’m slightly worried something went wrong at work again. Or worse, something with Violet and his old friend. Harry shouldn’t be subjected to that type of play. It’s mean and hurtful.

From: Harry

I’m coming over. I need to see you.

I smile and send ‘okay’, waiting for him to come to my home. Grace is apparently in Michigan, visiting her father. It was on very short notice but she insisted on going.

Rain starts pouring against my window, my hand shutting the laptop on my lap. I quickly blow-dry my hair and wash my face, ridding my skin from the little make-up I wore. A loud pound is heard on my door and I walk out of my room, unlatching the lock on my front door.

“Harry?” I ask, opening the door for him. He’s soaking wet and his eyes are bloodshot.

“I-I needed to talk to someone,” he says, my head nodding. I shut and lock the door, walking to him and removing his coat. He’s freezing.

As I observe him, his lip has a small cut and the corner of his eye is bleeding. Oh, Harry.

“Who did this to you?” I ask, cupping his cheek. Apprehension is clear in his features but he leans into my touch, his torn expression painful to view.

“I don’t want to upset you,” he says, my body flush against his soaked one.

“Harry, I’m here for you. Please. Everything is going to be okay,” I tell him, kissing his cheek.