A Couple Of Freaks | Rocket Raccoon [platonic]

i've had a rough day and i need imagines with my imaginary bff rocket raccoon

Requested by BrookShook

also friendly reminder that while i do rocket imagines, i won't do animal!reader or romantic rocket imagines. thank you :-)

///

You were the newest member of the Guardians of the Galaxy, and while you knew from the start that they weren't the most kind people, you weren't aware of the extent of hatred one of them in particular, Rocket, would have for you. At first, it seemed like he didn't care about you being there. You were ignored, brushed off, and you liked it that way. You didn't need approval from him or anyone else.

Mantis was the one that took the most liking to you. She often hovered around you, offering tidbits of stories and facts that she knew. You appreciated her kindness and welcoming nature.

On one day in particular, you and Mantis were hanging back on the Milano while the other five members of the Guardians were out on a mission. You had a cold of some kind that was making you run a high fever. Mantis volunteered to stay back and take care of you. Gamora had agreed that it was a good idea, while Rocket had sneered and rolled his eyes, like you were taking a super long vacation that disrupted his job.

You were too sick to care all that much. Besides, ever since you were picked up from Earth and experimented on, you got sick far more easy. And when you did get sick, it hit you hard. 

You were sitting on the floor, your legs tucked underneath you. The team was boarding the ship as Mantis reached down to hand you a cup of water. 

She looked up and gasped. "What happened?!"

Gamora had Peter's arm up and over her shoulders. She gave Mantis an exhausted look and breathed out, "Ambush. Peter sprained an ankle, I think. Rocket got shot."

"What?" You stood up, too fast - your head spun.

"Yeah," Rocket was saying, closing the door. He was holding his arm tight to his side. "Apparently, we've ticked a few people off and they want our hides." He glared at you. "And maybe if we had the whole frickin' team-"

"Rocket," Gamora shouted. "Shut your mouth and get us out of here. We can argue later."

"He's in no condition to fly," you said matter-of-factly.

"What do you know?" he growled, stubborn as ever - and obviously very angry with you.

Drax stepped forward. "He is bleeding pretty badly. I will fly the ship with Quill while Gamora and Mantis tends to his fragile human leg," he offered. (Peter gave him an annoyed look.) "Rocket needs-"

"Nothin'," Rocket finished for him. "I can handle it myself. Now if either of you wreck my ship-"

"Our ship," Peter corrected. 

"Yeah, whatever." Rocket took an extra long second to glare daggers right at you.

Mantis folded her hands in front of her. "She was sick, Rocket. Neither of us assumed that staying home would result in this."

He waved his hand and winced with the motion of it. "Ugh, whatever. I ain't listenin'."

She frowned. "Well, can I help you? I can assist you in-" she asked, reaching her hand out to him.

"Touch me, and I'll bite your hand off," he snapped.

She jumped back automatically and nodded, falling silent. You watched with sad eyes as she ducked her head.