I'll Go Where You Go (part two) | Rocket Raccoon/Groot [platonic]

a part 2 was requested

///

four years later

Rocket yawned. He was starting to doze off - they had been flying in the same stupid direction for forever. He lifted his head and asked, "Why are we doin' this again?"

"It's a distress signal, Rocket. Someone could be dying," Gamora answered.

"I get that, but why are we doing it?" he asked.

Quill chimed in with, "Because we're nice. And because maybe whoever we save will give us a little cheddar cheese for our effort."

Gamora snapped, "Which isn't the point!"

"Which isn't the point. I mean, if he doesn't pony up..."

"We take his ship," Drax said.

"B-b-b-b-bingo!"

"All right!" Rocket exclaimed.

"We are arriving," Mantis said.

"All right, Guardians," Quill said, "don't forget, this might be dangerous so let's put on our mean faces."

Everything about the day was annoying. Rocket really didn't want to have to save anybody today. He wasn't in the mood - especially because no one was gonna get paid for saving a ship that was stranded in space. They were wasting their time, Groot was playing his video games obnoxiously loud and cussing more than he needed to, and after he had to snap at him, Rocket was just annoyed.

But all of his annoyance melted away when they arrived at the scene.

There was no ship. There were pieces of ship floating everywhere, though.

And bodies. So many bodies.

"What happened?" Mantis asked.

"Looks like we're not getting paid," Rocket said, and then something - someone - smacked into the front of their ship. He screamed. "Gah! Wipers! Wipers! Get it off!"

"No!" Gamora said. "He's still alive - get him in!"

A few minutes later, with a lot of effort from everyone, the guy was laying on their table.

"How in the world is this dude still alive?" Quill asked.

"He's not a dude," Drax replied. "You're a dude. This... this is a man. A handsome, muscular man."

"I'm muscular..."

Rocket rolled his eyes, "Who are you kidding, Quill? You're one sandwich away from being fat."

"Yeah, right."

"It's true," Drax said. "You have put on weight."

"What?" Quill whispered. "Gamora, do you think I'm..."

Meanwhile, Mantis was doing something important. Rocket moved closer to her while she touched the side of his head. "He is anxious... angry. He feels tremendous loss and guilt."

"It's like a pirate had a baby with an angel," Drax said.

"This is a real wake up call for me. Wow. Okay." At the same time, Gamora had picked up his arm and was feeling his muscles.

Rocket was just annoyed again.

"Wake him up," Quill said.

Mantis leaned in close. "Wake up..."

Suddenly, the man woke up. He threw himself forward, crying out. The entire team flew backwards, startled. Quickly, the man steadied himself. He turned around slowly.