Home for the Holidays | Rocket Raccoon (platonic)

i am back with more platonic Rocket Raccoon imagines bc i just love him

oh also happy birthday to Bradley Cooper, and Merry belated Christmas. it is time for the Christmas imagine i didn't have time to write last week.

///

Your deep sleep was consumed by a long, drawn out dream full of fun gun fights in bars against weird looking aliens alongside your family. You were content and happy.

And you woke up when something was thrown directly at your face. In your dream, it was a blast from some kind of gun, blasting off your entire face directly in front of Groot. Only your eyes opened, and you felt the cold water running down your face and the throbbing pain in your nose, where Drax had just thrown a metal cup at you.

You looked up at him, staring blankly from your doorway. "What. The. Heck."

"I was told by the rodent that you are to wake up and come at once." He grinned. "Come now, we have a surprise for you."

"Did Rocket tell you to throw a metal cup at my face?" you asked, picking up a pillow and throwing it at him.

It bounced off his chest and he caught it. "No, he did not. Also, if you really intend to inflict physical damage on me, you are not going to do so with a pillow." He shook his head and squinted his eyes. "You are an assassin, for crying out loud."

You blinked at him as he turned and walked away. Shaking your head, you got up, closed your door, changed your soaked shirt and put on your boots.

As you left your room, you shook out your wet hair. "Jeez, Drax. It's like I took a shower in-"

You looked up from your hair and your heart leapt out of your chest. The entire Milano, from the walls to the corner by the table, was decorated in lights. A tree made out of scrap metal, held together by Groot's vines, was in the middle of it all, with a pile of wrapped presents underneath. Lights made of different shaped bulbs lined the ceiling, and old Christmas music played softly from Peter's Zune.

"Merry Christmas!" everyone shouted, except for Gamora who said-

"Merry Christ Mass!"

Peter wrapped his arm around her, pressing his lips together in a tight line of amused yet endearing disappointment. "Almost had it that time, honey."

"Guys..." You gaped, looking around in excitement. "Did you throw all this together over night?"

"Yes!" Peter laughed. "Actually, uh, it took about six hours." He put his hands on his hips and cackled. "Yup! We've been up for hours! Ha ha, I am so tired."

You laughed, and Rocket shook his head. "Yeah, he started losing it about an hour ago. Lack of sleep finally hit him."

Mantis pressed her hands together, "Oh... do you love it?!" She jumped gracefully on her toes.

"Of course I love it," you said. "I mean look at all of this! Wow! Groot, you made the tree?"

"I am Groot," he said proudly, stretching his little arms up for you.

You picked him up and let him hug your neck. "You did such a good job, Groot. Merry Christmas."

For the rest of the day, you were surprised again and again with common Christmas traditions (some of which modified to fit where you lived - which was in the middle of the galaxy, far away from Earth). The traditional Christmas dinner of foods like ham and pies was non-existent.

But everyone was given a gift from their Secret Santa. After dinner, your family gathered around the tree, sitting on the floor or in the chairs (or leaning against the wall on the other side or the room, like Nebula) Drax was given a branch from Groot, who proudly presented the gift. Drax sniffled back his tears of happiness when he opened it and thanked him wholeheartedly. Gamora was given a knew sword by her sister, and Nebula was given a pair of headphones from Peter, who had no idea what to get his soon-to-be sister in law.

Finally, it was your turn to open your gift.

It was in a small grey box, not wrapped but topped with a ball of string, all tangled and glued on the top of the box. It looked horrifying, but you didn't make fun.

You happily opened your gift and stared pleasantly surprised as you pulled out a single ornament, as large as your palm, clearly hand-made from pressed metal, framing a picture of you and your entire family.

"What is it?" Peter asked, craning his neck to see.

"It's an ornament," you said, picking it up by the string. You dangled it in front of you and smiled. "It's of our family."

Drax burst out into laughter. "Those photos... are each of our individual mugshots! They're just cut and glued together! Your Secret Santa gift is a sham!" He grabbed his chest.

"It is not a sham," you said defensively. "It is the greatest gift ever. And considering how much you got arrested last year, it is fitting that your mugshot is on here."

"Hey," Drax said, offended.

You stood up. Smiling, you put your ornament on the tree and stood back to admire it. "It's perfect."

Everyone sat where they were, happily watching the tree twinkle and your new ornament dangle from the branch.

Drax leaned over to Peter. "Quill?"

"Yeah?"

"Who is Santa?" Drax asked. "And should I be wary of him?"

//

Everyone turned in early, except for you. You sat in a chair in front of your tree. You couldn't stop admiring it. It had been made with so much love and care, and the tiny branch that Groot gave Drax for his gift was now the tree topper that made it all the more sweet.

"You're still up?"

You turned and smiled at Rocket. "Mhm. Want to sit with me?"

He made a sound that was half a groan, half a whatever, and he hopped up on the arm of your seat. He stared at the tree with you.

"Thank you for the ornament, Rocket," you said.

"Wasn't me," he muttered.

"Yes, it was," you said, smirking.

He turned to look at you. "How do you know that?"

"Well, Drax gave Mantis food. Quill gave Nebula headphones. Groot gave Drax a branch. Nebula gave Gamora a sword. Gamora gave Groot a bigger pot to sleep in. Mantis gave Quill a drawing of herself and him." You laughed. "All that leaves is you and me."

"Drat. Guess that bit me in the butt, huh?"

You smiled wide and scratched between his ears. "Rocket, I love my gift. I would've known it was you anyway. You're the only one that listened to me ramble on about Christmas all month long."

He laughed. "Yeah, I guess."

"So, I owe you a gift."

"Nah, I ain't really bankin' on a stocking full of candy or nothin'-"

"I already have your gift." You stood from your seat.

"Huh?"

"We are turning this ship around, and you and I are spending all night in your favorite bar. I'll buy you all of your drinks, and then you and I can go shoot some stuff." You pulled two blasters off of the wall from where they hung.

Rocket grinned. "Oh, yeah. Let's do it."

You tossed him his gun. "I'll turn the ship around."

Rocket, happier than he had ever been, laughed. "Merry Christmas everybody!"

///
what if i did a part 2 to this of them at the bar

wouldn't that be cute and fun