Life For A Life (part two) | Rocket/Groot [platonic]

i love sadness

///

When Groot opened his eyes, he was still on the ground, curled up on his side. Everything was blurry for a moment, and he wondered how long he had been out as he struggled to remember going to sleep on the ground in the first place. 

"Get up, Tree," a voice said. Groot lifted his head and saw the man with large wings walking by. "Wizards are here to retrieve us. Apparently, we still got a war to fight."

"I am Groot?" he mumbled. Slowly, Groot peeled himself up off the dirt. He stood, looking around. 

The guy with wings, the witch chick with red hair, and the guy in the cat suit all stood around with the wizards, who were all just girls and guys wearing identical robes. And as Groot looked around him, he noticed that Rocket was nowhere to be found. 

"I am Groot?" he kept asking, but no one understood a word that he said. 

He was just a child, confused and lost and scared. They were telling him that he had to fight, but he couldn't understand it. Where was everyone else? Didn't they just lose a battle a few minutes ago?

With the rest of the Avengers, he was ushered through a portal that opened up to a fiery battlefield. Dozens upon dozens of other portals were opened, and tons of people and creatures poured out of them. A few feet away, Groot (to his relief) saw Quill, Mantis, and Drax. 

But he still couldn't find the two people he really wanted to see: Rocket and you.

//

Rocket clutched the armor on Rhodes' back as he flew through the air, going straight towards Thanos' army. He had a gun larger than he was on his back, goggles covering his eyes, and enough anger and grief inside of him to take out half the army without a beat. 

When Rhodes neared the ground, Rocket hopped off of his back, sprinting on all fours forward. On his way, he took alien creatures out with either his weapon or his fists, using his height as an advantage to scramble up their back and break their necks. 

Somewhere in this mess was Groot, and all he needed to do was get to him. 

Rocket was running across the battlefield. Thanos must have ordered a frickin' suicide mission, because his ship was firing blasts all over the ground. Rocket lunged forward, left and right, dodging each hit. 

And a little ways to his left, he saw Groot. A blast hit him too close, and as Rocket took a sharp left and picked up speed, he saw him fly across the ground and land on his back. 

He couldn't lose him again he couldn't lose him he couldn't lose him again-

He just lost you, and now he was going to lose Groot for the third time-

Rocket screamed out, getting to him and covering him with his body. A long terrified scream still came out of his mouth as he covered his kid, desperate to protect Groot even if it killed him.

But the shots stopped, and he looked up. The ship was firing up now, trying to get something that was breaking through the atmosphere. 

A ball of orange flames cut through the ship. 

"Oh, yeah!" Rocket exclaimed, recognizing it at once. Carol destroyed the ship, sending it tumbling towards the ground in a million fiery pieces.

Groot stood up off the ground. Rocket turned to him and grabbed his arms. 

"Hey, Groot," he said, his eyes all teary, "you stick with me, okay, kid? Don't get out of my sight. I ain't lettin' anything happen to you ever again, okay? I promise."