End of the World (part one) | Rocket Raccoon [platonic]/ Thor/Groot [platonic]

okay i came up with 3 infinity war scenarios and spent all flipping night last night and all day today writing this. it's almost 5000 words long and it's my pride and joy. i'm tagging everyone who encouraged me to write this as well so they know it's up :-)

jarvisdropmyneedle07 HTTYDLOVER1 -anotherjesusfreak _AWildSuicidal_ athousandwishes1000 the_Elle_Stark Bubblequeen728

ENJOY I HOPE YOU ALL LOVE THIS

/ / / 

You joined the Guardians four years ago, shortly after the team had formed. You were there when they fought Ego, you were there when they really became a family, and you took your place in that family. While Peter and Rocket fought for the right of ringleader, you were your own form of leader; you kept everyone together in every way possible. You looked out for them physically, mentally, and emotionally.

Perhaps that was why Rocket liked you so much, connected with you in a way he didn't with the others. Groot always levitated towards you, even as a teenager. He didn't respect anyone but you. You were strict, straightforward, and nonchalant. If Peter was being a pain, you'd put him in his place. If Rocket was being --- well, Rocket --- then you'd snap at him and remind him that he couldn't treat his team like he treated every other living creature. You were like Gamora in a way, but also you were more mature than Gamora. You thought rationally rather than emotionally. You were a mom in ways Rocket couldn't explain, because he didn't have a mom. That he could remember.

And so it was you that chose to join them on their quest to Nidavellir to get Thor a new hammer because Rocket and Groot were going and you were one hundred percent sure neither of them had a bit of brains to tell them whether or not what they were doing was stupid, and Gamora would be there to keep Drax, Mantis, and Peter in line. She was the one that you trusted the most. And so you followed Rocket, pretending that you didn't see the obvious hurt on Peter's face when you chose to go with them instead of stay. You were so scared of Thanos and of what this threat meant, and as you looked at his face, a part of you knew you wouldn't see him again. But you didn't say anything, because a part of you truly believed that you would die fighting to save Rocket and Groot. And you couldn't leave Peter brokenhearted. 

"We'll be together again soon, okay?" 

He didn't answer you, but he swallowed hard and nodded curtly. You forced a small smile on your face, eyes sweeping across the line of family members. Your heart ached. You didn't expect to be forced apart like this, but if Gamora's past stories had told you anything, it was this; Thanos was a threat among the universe like no other. If Thor got this weapon and the rest of the Guardians went to find Thanos before he got the Reality stone, then maybe everything would turn out alright. Maybe you could really kill him before he got all six stones. Maybe.

"I knew you'd see it my way," Rocket boasted. "Seeing a planet this legendary is far cooler than getting your butt kicked by Thanos."

"They could die, Rocket," you said, not looking at him. "And I'm going with you to keep an eye out on Groot, not avoid facing Thanos. When Thor gets this weapon of his, we'll kill him. I just hope we get there before they get to Knowhere and face him without us." You didn't add that you were there to look out for Groot and Rocket, but it was pretty much implied. 

"In my opinion, if they're dumb enough to go face Thanos, then they get what's comin' to 'em," he mumbled with a shrug. 

Finally, you look at him with disbelief on your face. His ears are pressing down before you're even blowing up on him. "You don't believe that. You've heard the stories Gamora's told us. You saw her face when Thor said his name. And you think they deserve what's coming to them if they try to face Thanos?" You shook your head. "Rocket, this is our family."