Life For A Life (part one) | Rocket/Groot

i will be seeing endgame again with Melonhead15 in just a little over a week sooo here we go, i am ready for some endgame depression

i am going to write a part two to this everyone bc i love it that much

///

Tony and Steve had practically forced you to lay down and take a nap. You had been awake for over twenty-four hours, determined to put those stones to use and make everyone come back. But you were dead on your feet, unable to function, and coffee had long since stopped working. 

Now you were laying down on your back, your arm draped over your eyes, exhausted but restless.

The door opened. "Hey, humie - you ain't snoring yet?"

You moved your arm and sat up. "No, not yet." 

He hopped up on the couch next to you and leaned back, propping against a throw pillow. "The bags under your eyes have bags." 

"I just can't sleep. I keep wondering if... if we can really do this." You looked at him. "You really think this'll work? You think we can bring everyone back?" 

"We're workin' with a bunch of geniuses. Stark, Professor Green, heck, even me! We got this." He crossed his arms. 

You smiled a little and dropped your head. "Yeah..."

"Look, humie - I know you're thinking about Groot. I want him back just as bad as you do. We'll get 'em all back, alright?"

Tears were in your eyes. Embarrassed of them, you blinked rapidly and held your breath. "Okay."

"Okay? So get some rest, and I will keep workin' for the both of us." He hopped down off the couch and patted your knee. "I'll come get you in an hour."

"Half an hour," you said. 

"An hour," he said sternly, "or I ain't wakin' you up at all."

You rolled your eyes. "Fine." 

Rocket left the room, letting the door close behind him. Tony and Professor Hulk were still working, Steve watching with his arms crossed.

"Jeez, is space chick still not asleep in there?" Tony asked. 

"Not yet," Rocket answered, hopping up on a stool so he could see what they were working on. "She's got too much weighing on this."

"We all do," Steve said. 

"Yeah, but she's lived with this guilt for five years. And yeah, yeah - we all are livin' with some guilt, we all lost people. I don't wanna hear it. The tree kid that was with me when... when Thanos snapped, his name was Groot. And he really was just a kid. ___ was pretty much his mom, he thought, and she wasn't there when he... you know."

Tony fell silent, understanding exactly what Rocket - and you - were feeling. 

"That's her kid that..." Rocket couldn't finish. "We both just want him back more than anything."

Professor Hulk nodded. "We will get him back, Rocket. We'll get them all back."

"Yes," Tony said, "we will."

//

A little over an hour later, Rocket woke you up. You went straight back to work, like you never missed a beat of it. 

And that afternoon, the gauntlet was finished. 

"It's ready," you said. "It's really ready."

Everyone gathered in the room. Rocket stood on the table that you were leaning against, right by your left shoulder.