Processing | Peter Quill [romantic]

something i found half finished in my drafts. i was tired today from my first day at chipotle and decided to quickly finish it for y'all ♡ it's a short little imagine but i love it tbh. i don't remember if it was a request

/ / /

You laid on the floor, the top of your head inches away from Peter's. Your hand rested on the floor and the back of Peter's fingers stroked your open palm. His Zune played music softly from his headphones, which were discarded on the floor. You stared at the ceiling above you.

"Maybe we should find a place," he said. "A place to just live and stay out of the ways of people who, you know, want to kill us."

"You can't abandon the Guardians," you said, shaking your head. "And I'm not living without you, so don't suggest it."

"Why would I suggest that? It was the worst thing in the world, growing up without a dad around but still hearing my mom tell me he was out there." He sighed. "I couldn't do that to my kid."

"Leaving isn't an option," you said, "and the hero gig isn't something you retire from easily, Peter. We'll just have to adapt."

"And raise our baby on a ship full of Rocket's guns and bombs?" he questioned. "Uh yeah, okay. Not happening."

"Hey," the raccoon popped his head out of his living quarters. "I ain't an idiot. Uncle Rocket will be sure to teach the little monster all about how to properly handle weaponry. And maybe one day the kid will be an unstoppable killing machine! Or it'll end up being a huge disappointment like you, Quill."

You giggled softly and sat up. Peter lifted his head and gaped. "Dude! Not cool."

"He's just messing with you, Peter," you told him. Rocket disappeared, his snickering echoing around the ship. You looked down at your husband and he snatched your hand in his, bringing it close to his face. You stroked his cheek with your thumb. "But I thought you wanted to have a kid. We always talked about it---"

"I did. I mean I do. It's just a little scary now that it's, you know, real. I mean I know everyone is at least a little trustworthy around the baby---"

You cringed, thinking of when Drax played a seemingly innocent game of catch with baby Groot and promptly (and accidentally) knocked him clear across the Milano, and when he accidentally got locked inside of Rocket's toolbox. "Well. Sorta."

"Groot grew up fine," he said, waving his free hand. "Minimal damage done to the kid. He's all good."

You smiled. "So then what's the problem?"

"I don't want anything to happen," he said. "Not to you." He kissed your hand and then sat up. You leaned against him and he put his arms around you, pulling you against his chest. His legs went on both sides of you and his hands touched your stomach. "Not to the baby." He lowered his chin, resting it on the dip of your shoulder. His arms tightened around you. "Not to me. I want to be around for a long time to just spend the rest of forever with you guys. I wanna see our kid grow up, maybe become the second Star-Lord. Carry on his or her father's legacy. They can even wear my jacket --- it'll be vintage by that time, you see."

"Oh of course," you said, snorting.

"I just want to have a normal life," he said. He closed his eyes. "Just me, my girl, and our cute little baby we made."

You smiled. "Peter, all of those nice things you listed..."

He kissed your cheek. "Yeah?"

"We can have all of those without having a normal life," you said. "Because I don't want to stop kicking the butts of ugly aliens that are trying to control the galaxy in whatever way they want, and I don't want to leave our friends. I know you don't either. And Gamora and Nebula are going to be so great. Well, they'll at least try to be. Drax will have someone who finally thinks he is funny. Mantis will... well, she'll be Mantis. Groot will love having a kid around even if he is a teenager now. And Rocket was supportive from the moment I told him---"

"From the moment he eavesdropped," Peter mumbled. It was true, Rocket was good at eavesdropping. He liked doing it even if he pretended to not care about people.

"Look," Rocket said, storming back into the room. "She was barfing all over the toilet. Was I supposed to let that slide?! No! I was gonna make fun of how gross she is!"

Peter pointed his finger at him. "Here you are again! Eavesdropping!"

"Look here, Quill. You've got a loud mouth and a bunch of stupid thoughts---"

"Point is," you said loudly, hoping to cut off the growing argument, "that he was really happy for me and helped me get over my panic and gather up the courage to tell you that you're a dad now."

Rocket crossed his arms. "I guess that was pretty great of me."

"It was," you agreed. "And what did you say to me, Rocket?"

He sighed. "I said that you guys will make pretty awesome parents. But if you say a word about that, Quill, then I will take it back and kill you." Without another word, he disappeared back into his room.

Peter looked at you and laughed. He fell silent when you gave him a quick kiss. "So I think it's time we tell the rest of the team we are expecting and then talk about baby-proofing the place a bit. Come on, they'll be back any minute."

"Alright." You stood up and held out your hands for him. He took them and got on his feet. "Do you think our kid will want to be Star-Lord, or will he or she resent the weight of the title and the pressure of being as awesome as their late father?"

You rolled your eyes. "Who wouldn't want to be Star-Lord?"