End of the World (part two) | Rocket Raccoon [platonic]/Thor/Groot [platonic]

i did it. i wrote a part 2 

a 9300 word part 2

i spent hours writing this today 

i was pleasantly surprised to see all of the requests for part 2 and i want to thank all of you for commenting and reading and voting!! i was so happy so see that you all liked part 1 and i hope you like part 2 just as much :-)

/ / /

For a long time, Rocket didn't move. 

Time was standing still. It had to be, because there wasn't an ounce of feeling inside of him, and the breeze was still and the air was just heavy. It was weighing him down to this spot right against the trunk, where he was staring at his empty paws and sitting in the dust that you and Groot left behind. Sometimes the wind would shift only barely and it would move, and he would only be able to choke out a sound of pain as he realized that this was all he had left of the two people that mattered most to him in this entire freakin' screwed up world.

Eventually, he was coaxed onto the ship by Thor. No one really knew what to do. Where was there to go now? But Thor nudged his shoulder and said, "Rabbit. Come on." And Rocket groaned, not really protesting, but not agreeing either, and Thor shoved him a little harder. Rocket went to snap at his hand, but he stopped himself when he saw the sadness on Thor's face. Twenty-five minutes ago, everyone was together and happy that he had gotten this axe that was supposed to defeat Thanos easily. And now...

Rocket's face hardened. Thor swallowed, and he knew that he was to blame for the loss of this battle. Rocket lost his friends because Thor didn't aim for the head. "I'll go," he said. He stood up and, eyes still on Thor, bent down to grab your gun. "Ain't nothin' left for me here, anyway."

Rocket wasn't sure where he was going. He wanted nothing more than to be back on the Milano with his group. He didn't know a single soul on this ship other than Thor. They left behind a broken Wakanda, a mourning kingdom that had just lost their king and their princess all in a single moment.

They went to some headquarters --- the Avengers Headquarters. It was strange and very open, with large rooms and tons of refreshers and bedrooms with only one bed in them. Rocket missed the Milano, with the single cramped bathroom and the three rooms that were only four feet wide. He missed the bunks that were so close together that you could only slide into the bunk. And as everyone reluctantly washed up and changed clothes and tended wounds and tried to eat food, Rocket only stood by the window, staring at the blue sky. 

For a few days, Thor managed to check on him. Wordlessly, but still, he checked on him. He made sure he got a plate of food and knew where he could wash the dried blood off of him from battle. But as the days turned into weeks and the Avengers grew completely still and oblivious as of what the next step was (even after Captain Marvel appeared out of nowhere, miraculously there to help after the huge battle, when she was actually needed), even Thor grew too tired to check on Rocket. By then, he was pretty comfortable with helping himself to whatever food he could find. The only thing that kept him going was knowing that Carol was on a hunt to find the Milano, and with it, probably some of his family. 

The ship returned at night, on the twenty-something day of the end of the world. Rocket scurried outside with everyone else who was running, desperate to see who was alive. Rocket listed them in his head, the people that weren't yet counted for: Tony Stark, Peter Parker, Peter Quill, Gamora, Drax, Mantis, Stephen Strange, Scott Lang, Clint Barton. Only four of those people mattered to him. 

The ship opened and he perked up anxiously, his breathing unsteady as two people staggered off of the ship. Tony Stark and Nebula. He stepped forward, surprised to see her, but not completely upset. He looked around her, waiting to see someone ---