Everything Will Be Okay | The Guardians [platonic]

thank you to weird_adorable_bean for this beautiful piece of art she did for my birthday! it's based off of my last imagine!

As most of you know, my family had to take in my 4 young cousins and now we are raising them for the time being. I am busy with the kids & with my full time college schedule, so I typically don't have time to write. But 2 days ago I broke out into a fever that kept me from being able to take care of the kids today, so I took the time to write for you guys <3 hope you enjoy

///

It was the first night back together with your family. You couldn't tell whether to feel relieved or weary. It was wonderful to hear Drax's loud, booming laughter, followed by Mantis' squeaky giggles, and to hear the sounds coming from Groot's video game and Peter's singing as Rubberband Man played. Plus there was a new addition to your team, Thor, but he didn't make up for the empty space from Gamora's absence. 

Everyone was doing their own thing on the ship while you were walking around. You found Rocket, sitting on the edge of his bunk, hands in his lap. You paused by the doorway. 

"Hey," you said. "You okay?"

He looked up at you. "Uh... yeah."

"You sure?"

He sighed. "It's been five years."

"I know," you said. 

"I thought I never would get used to the silence of just you, me, and the blue chick, but... but here I am. And I was used to the silence."

You went into his room and sat down next to him. Huffing, you nodded. "It's weird to me, too. But a good weird. We fought hard. We lost people."

Rocket's ears flattened. "Yeah..."

"Things'll be okay," you said, looking down at him. "We'll get used to yelling at Groot again. Soon enough, Drax will annoy the crap out of us. And you and Quill will be fighting over who's the captain again."

He laughed, but he shook his head. "Nah... I think I'm done with the whole captain thing. I thought it was all I wanted, but the five years when I was captain happened to be the worst five years of my short, pathetic life." 

You snorted. "Well, you were a pretty good captain. You carried our team well." You touched the top of his head and stood up. 

"Hey," he said, stopping you. You turned. "I'm glad you're alive."

"Hey, me too." You flashed a grin and stepped out into the hall. 

Thor nearly ran you over. He grabbed your arms to steady you, flashed a smile, and then laughed. "My apologies." 

"It's all good," you said. "Did you need anything?"

"Yes. I was going to ask the rabbit a few questions about this wonderful ship we are living on. I think it looks a little bit like junk and I'd like to enhance it." He nodded and walked around you.

"You... just said it was wonderful. But okay." Blinking, you walked on.

Peter, as he had been since you got on the ship, was pouting. 

You sighed. Your heart hurt for him, it really did. Everyone was hurting by the loss of Gamora. You were sure that you had gotten her back when Gamora from 2014 joined your team, but she was missing. Had she disappeared in Tony's snap? Had she run away? 

You wanted to know just as bad as everyone else - but a part of you also didn't want to know.

You approached Peter. "Hey. I was gonna make dinner tonight. Any suggestions? And don't say alcohol, because Drax and Rocket already requested it." You laughed lightly. 

He didn't even smile. 

"Peter?"

"She was the love of my life," he mumbled. "And she's just... gone." 

You frowned. "I know-" You reached for him. 

"Everyone I love. My mom. Yondu. Gamora. They all die." 

"That isn't true. There are many people left that do love you and are here right now." You put your hand on his back and he looked at you. "And Gamora may still be out there. Keep your head up, okay?" 

He took in a deep breath and turned towards you. His hand found your wrist and he held you in place. His eyes were so sad that you nearly cried for him. "Can you promise me something?" 

"Of course," you whispered. 

"Promise me that we won't stop looking for her, no matter how long it takes. Even if it takes a hundred years. Or the rest of our lives."

"How... long do you think we're going to live?" you muttered.

"I just need her back. So bad, dude. She was the love of my whole life." 

"We'll get her back, Peter. We will. I promise." 

He nodded. "Thank you." 

You turned away from him slowly and looked around. What was left of your family was pretty much shattered. Everyone was scared, they were mourning, and you were starting to doubt everything yourself. When you pictured what it would be like when you, Rocket, and Nebula reunited with your friends and family, it was not like this. 

You sat down in one of the seats and put your face in your hands. You curled your fingers into tight fists and pressed them against your eyes, which were burning with tears that you didn't want to shed.

"Weren't you the one that just told me things are gonna be okay?" 

Looking up, you saw Rocket standing in front of you, arms crossed. 

"I need to learn to practice what I preach, huh?" you asked. You sat up straight and then slumped against the back of your seat. 

"What happened to you while I was talkin' to Thor about painting the ship red?" He sat down in the seat next to you.

"I promised Quill that we would find Gamora. And now I'm thinking... what if we don't? What if she really is dead and gone forever?" You shook your head. "The Gamora that's out there doesn't even know any of us. That Gamora that we knew and that loved us? She is gone permanently."

"I wouldn't say that," Rocket said. "You never know what is really true. And you ain't the type to just give up on people. You didn't give up on me after Groot... you know." 

"I know," you said. 

"What we got right now is good. And maybe we will make it better. But for right now, we need to know that things are gonna be okay." 

You looked at him and smiled. "Thanks, Rocket." 

"Eh, don't mention it. And start dinner already, will ya? I'm hungry."

"Sure sure," you said, smiling. 

You took in a deep breath. Everything would be okay. Everything was okay.