Long Distance | Rocket/Groot [platonic]

I wrote this for my most best friend in the whole entire world, Melonhead15. she can't read this til sunday, because she's on a weekend long camping trip and i can't contact her. it's honestly one of the hardest things i have ever had to go through. BUT she is my most favorite person in the world, i miss her sooooo much, she is the groot to my rocket, and i want her to know that she is loved and appreciated for when she comes back. i love you melanie! you have no idea how much i miss you

///

Southern nights
Have you ever felt a Southern night?
Free as a breeze
Not to mention the trees
Whistlin' tunes that you know and love so

Your legs were dangling off the side of one of the pilot chairs, foot kicking to the tune of the songs. You nodded your head, closed your eyes, and sang softly, "Southern nights - just as good even when closed your eyes. I apologize to anyone who can truly say that he has found a better way..." You looked over at Groot, who sat in the seat to your right, and flashed a grin. 

"I am Groot." 

"I do too sing good," you said, fake gasping with hurt. You laughed and planted your feet on the ground. 

One of the systems on the dashboard of the ship beeped. Your heart skipped a beat - it literally leaped with joy - and you got up out of your chair and sprinted to it. You slammed your fist against the switch, pressing it down and leaning close. 

"Hello? Rocket?" 

The speaker cracked and hummed. You waited a second before pressing again. 

"Rocket? You there?" 

Static. Then. "He...Hey. Can you... hear me?"

You sighed out in relief at the sound of your best friend's voice. Groot put a hand on your arm, eyes on you. "Hey, Rocket. I hear ya." 

You turned around and leaned against the wall. 

Just yesterday, Rocket had left on a mission he had to go on alone. You were babysitting Groot, which wasn't anything you were against. You missed your best friend, though. He was always with you for every second of the day, and now suddenly, he wasn't.

He couldn't constantly contact you either, which drove you insane. All you wanted was to hear your best friend's voice. But you were both dependent on low service, slow delivering messages, and fuzzy sounding calls, which caused a lot of anxious waiting in between for the both of you.

"How are you?" you asked. 

"Uh, pretty frickin' terrible."

You frowned. "That bad?" 

"Kinda lonely out here," he said. "How's Groot?" 

"He's alright, he's right here. We miss you Rocket. A lot." 

"Don't start gettin' all soft on me," he said. "It's gross. You're gonna make me barf all over the place."

You laughed. "Sorry." 

"Ah, it's all right," he said. "I miss you too. Both of ya."

You inhaled deeply, your throat tightening just a little bit. You swallowed it down and closed your eyes. You didn't want to cry in front of Groot.

Rocket knew you so well, he could read your mood by the sounds you made. The change in your breathing, the pause in your words. He knew you hated the separation. He knew you worried nonstop. He worried, too.

"Hey," he said gently, no tone of sarcasm or humor in his voice. "It's only a little over a day left. You can get through a little more than a day, yeah?" 

You licked your lips. "I don't know..."

Rocket sighed. "It'll be okay."

You nodded. "Yeah, it'll be okay." 

"I'm... I'm probably gonna lose connection soon. I'm sorry, kid."

"S'okay," you murmured.  

"Can you put Groot on?" 

"Yeah."

"Hey," he said. You stopped. "I'll be home soon."

"I know," you said. "I miss you."

"I miss you, kid." 

You lifted your finger off the switch and looked at Groot. He eagerly took your spot, and you touched the top of his head. Choking back on tears that you didn't want to spill, you sat down on the pilot's seat. 

Your heart was so ridiculously heavy. It was just a three day trip, but it felt like eternity.

"I am Groot." (We listened to Quill's music all day.)

"Yeah? That's pretty awesome," Rocket said. "Hey. You better be cleanin' that room of yours too. And don't start an attitude with me, twig. That place better be clean before I get there." 

"I am Groot," he muttered. (Your stuff is all over the place, too.)

"The heck did I just say?" He sighed. "I gotta go, Groot. But... look after ___ for me, alright? I can tell she's puttin' on a whole big show, like she ain't sad. But she is. Take care of her, got it?"

"I am Groot." (I will.)

"Thanks," he said. "I'll try to call tomorrow. Bye, Groot."

Groot waited until there was static, and then he pulled his hand away from the switch. He turned around slowly, frowning softly.

You were perched on the seat in the same position as before, but you weren't singing along or moving your foot to the music. Your arms were crossed, your head leaned against the back of the chair. 

Silently, Groot crossed the room to the Zune and flipped back to the last song. Southern Nights started over. 

Rocket's favorite. Your favorite. 

You didn't move or respond to what Groot did, and Groot walked over to you and put on arm around you. He laid his head down on top of yours and placed his other hand on the inside of your elbow.

"I am Groot," he said. 

You couldn't hold it in anymore. You bowed your head and started to cry, one hand coming up to clutch Groot's arm.

Meanwhile, on a ship halfway across the galaxy, Rocket sat in his lone pilot's seat, steering the ship through the stars. As he did, he sang a song softly under his breath. A song that always helped him just a little bit, even though he missed his two friends (really - his family) more than anything else. His chest ached a little bit as he thought of them. It was frightening. But he still sang.

"Southern nights, they feel so good, it's a frightening - Wish I could stop this world from the fighting... Da-da-da-da-da, da-da-da-da-da-da, da-da-da-da-da-da, da-da-da, da-da-da-da, da-da-da-da-da-da..."