8.7 Friendship

Tormund and the other troops of the Nights Watch came to Winterfell informing everyone that the White Walkers were close and that they had until the night to get ready

Arabella was in the library with Ellyn in her hands as she read a book trying to calm her nerves down. Arabella hadn't prayed for years. She didn't believe in Gods anymore because of all the horrible they had done.

Jon had been blatant with her. Arabella didn't know what had gotten to him but she wished it wasn't what she told him about Daenerys.

Arabella turned the page as Ellyn looked up. "Mama," the girl mused so Arabella smiled and kissed her head. This may have been their last time together. Their last day of living.

"Ellyn," Arabella said softly and shut her eyes before kissing Ellyn's head once again before hearing someone enter.

She wanted to see Jon but instead saw Daenerys who stood by the door with a serious look on her face. "I thought this was empty. Apologies."

"I wanted to be alone with my daughter for a while," Arabella told her as Daenerys looked down at a mini version of Jon and Arabella.

The Queen nodded and decided to approach Arabella. Daenerys stood above her as Arabella smiled sarcastically and raised her eyes up. "She grew up well," Daenerys commented while touching Ellyn's head. "May I join you in this solitary while we still have time?"

Arabella nodded her head after a moment so Daenerys sat down on a chair. Quiet took place as the two women stared at each other. "Sansa doesn't like me," Daenerys admitted as Arabella stayed quiet. "I suppose that was a given. But you... I thought you are my friend."

"I thought so too," Arabella told her before looking down at Ellyn who occupied herself with her toy. "Did Jon ever tell you anything about me while he was in Dragonstone?"

Daenerys pursed her lips before nodding. "He told me he loved you and that he'd protect you and Ellyn from anyone, including me," she said with a torn face as Arabella got a closure she needed.

"Did that hurt you?" Arabella asked suddenly as Daenerys furrowed her eyebrows.

"I don't quite understand-"

"-oh, but you do," Arabella cut her off bravely as Daenerys' look hardened. "I am not a fool, Your Grace. You came here not to protect the North. You could've left us to deal with the Dead while you stayed focused on your goal. And here you are. In love with my husband. Fighting for him."

Daenerys clenched her jaw as the two women spat fire at each other with their eyes. Not backing down. "That is a brave conspiracy, lady Arabella," Daenerys commented coldly as all the friendliness was long gone.

"Is it a conspiracy?"

"If we survive the night... You should be more careful then," Daenerys rose up to her feet as Arabella laughed angrily.

"If we don't... Your threats are pointless."

"Not a threat. An observation," Daenerys put her hands behind her back with a sneer. She then turned on her back and began to leave. "Your father did kill my brother after all."

"I guess we do take after them," Arabella said so Daenerys left causing Arabella to pick Ellyn up and stand up. She placed her chin on top of her daughter's head and closed the book before leaving the library.

~~~

The night fell quite quickly as the defenders gathered to make their plans for the battle to come. A war map was laying on a table as people stood around it.

Arabella stood next to Ser Davos and Lyanna Mormont far away from Jon or Daenerys. "We can't beat them in a straight fight," Jon then spoke while glancing at Arabella to see her illuminated face stare down at the map.

"So what can we do?" Jaime questioned as Jon glanced from his wife to her uncle.

"The Night King made them all. They follow his command," Jon said with a frown as his look stayed on the map. "If he falls... Getting to him may be our best chance."

"If that's true, he'll never expose himself," Jaime said while furrowing his eyebrows.

Arabella thought of the young lord Umber. He went back home and the Night King got to him. How many people had died because of that thing. Her heartache kept rising in her chest and she wanted to scream. "Yes, he will," Bran spoke as everyone's eyes landed on him once again. "He'll come for me. He's tried before. Many times with many three-eyed-ravens."

"Why?" Sam asked in confusion. "What does he want?"

"An endless night. He wants to erase this world," Bran answered as Sam looked away. "And I'm its memory."

"Well, that's what Death is, isn't it?" Sam asked as Jon looked at him. "Forgetting. Being forgotten. If we forget where we've been and what we've done, we're not men anymore. Just animals. Your memories don't come from books, your stories aren't just stories. If I wanted to erase the world I'd may start with you."

"How will he find you?" Tyrion asked Bran who stared at Sam before glancing at Arabella and then Tyrion.

"His mark is on me," Bran said before lifting his sleeve. People saw a claw like endorsed mark on his hand as Arabella frowned. "He always knows where I am."

"We'll put you in the crypt where you're safest," Jon insisted but Bran disagreed.

"No. We need to lure him into the open before his army destroys us all," Bran argued calmly. "I'd wait for him in the Godswood."

"You want us to use you as bait?" Sansa asked angrily as Jon glanced at Arabella once again. Their eyes met as he blinked her telling her that it was okay.

"We're not leaving you alone out there," Arya told her brother.

"He won't be," Theon Greyjoy spoke as he had come back to Winterfell to help the Starks. "I'll stay with him. I'm the Ironborn," Theon glanced back at Bran. "I took this castle from you. Let me defend you now."

Bran only nodded his head causing Jon only to agree too. "We'll hold off the rest of them," Davos spoke from besides Arabella. "For as long as we can."

"When the time comes, Davos and I will be on the walls to give you the signal to light the trench," Tyrion told Jon who nodded.

"Ser Davos is perfectly capable of waving a torch on his own," Daenerys told Tyrion. "You'll be in the crypt."

Tyrion glanced around the table. "Your Grace, I have fought before, I can do it again alongside the men and women risking their lives."

Vote, read, comment.