Chapter 9: News

"How often do you come here?" I asked Chaeyoung, who sat at the waiting room just outside of the doctor's office.

"If you don't recall, I'm still sick. Just because I lost my sight doesn't mean the sickness faded away, so I have to visit every week!" the girl replied, clearly upset.

"Hey, calm down" Tzuyu spoke "She just asked you a question"

"Sorry, I'm nervous. The doctor said he needed me immediately and I quote 'It is an emergency'" Chaeyoung breathed out, tapping her cane on the floor.

"Dahyun unnie?!" a very familiar voice spoke "I can't believe you're here"

"Yeri, hi" I laughed "You work here?"

"Ah yeah" she shrugged "I'm usually at the front desk, nothing special. Although, being a doctor sounds nice" the girl smiled.

"Good to know" Tzuyu spoke "How's Sooyoung?"

"You know, busy with the upcoming tour and stuff" Yeri commented "I heard you're preparing for a comeback. Is it true?" she turned to me.

"It actually is" I replied "Jihyo and I worked on all the songs in the album together. I'm pretty proud of it"

"Great!" she giggled "Sorry, I gotta run. See you soon" Yeri waved and walked off, leaving Tzuyu and I to deal with an anxious Chaeyoung.

"Damn can the doctor just--"

"Hello, welcome" a woman greeted, brushing her blonde hair away from her face.

"Chaeryeong-ssi?" I asked and her eyes widened, panick taking over.

"A-Ah Dahyun unnie" she bowed "P-Please come this way" Chaeryeong helped Chaeyoung in the room.

"You're her doctor?" Tzuyu asked while scanning the girl from head to toe. She couldn't quite believe an ex-gang member at this age could work as a doctor.

"N-No!" Chaeryeong anxiously said "I'm still studying in college but work here in my spare time, my professor arranged it"

"It's great hearing you left all of the shady stuff behind" I smiled and helped Chaeyoung sit on the examining table.

"Yeah, I tried hard making a new start" she sighed "Anyway, doctor Min will be here shortly. He had to run some errands" Chaeryeong announced and left the room, gently closing the door before her.

"What do you think this whole deal is about?" Tzuyu asked while taking her phone out to text Sana.

"I hope it's good news" Chaeyoung mumbled "I just want everything to end"

"You'll be fine, Chaeng" I smiled, reassuringly squeezing her shoulder. "By the way, what did you do with Jin the other night? I'm sorry I ran off like that"

"No worries, he left on his own after a bit" Tzuyu replied "We totally understand why you both felt. Are you okay, though? With everything he said?" she asked.

"I don't know" I mumbled "Even if I trust Momo with my life, I--"

I couldn't  finish my sentence as a short, grumpy man entered the room. He looked quite young to be honest, but I didn't bother guessing his age.

"Good morning, miss Son" he spoke "Greetings to you too" he turned to Tzuyu and I.

"Doctor Min, what took you so long?" Chaeyoung asked, fiddling with her fingers.

"My apologies, miss Son" the man said "I had a meeting with someone very special" he mumbled the last part.

"A new lady already?" Chaeyoung asked "Haven't I told you to take it easy, doc?" she laughed.

"You could say so, dear miss Son" doctor Min replied "Now, let's get to work" he announced and checked Chaeyoung up.

"How is she doc?" Tzuyu questioned as the man scribbled away on his notes, looking quite excited.

"She is perfectly fine, miss.."

"Tzuyu. Chou Tzuyu"

"Miss Chou.." he continued "She has been reacting well to the treatment and has been improving drastically over the past months. I see you followed my advice, miss Son"

"The diet helps a lot" the girl admitted "I only started for the kids but it turned out to help me a lot too"

"Ah, how are Haesong and Ahseong doing?" the doctor asked. It was pretty clear that they were close, they've known each other for years.

"They're doing just fine. Normal kid stuff. Being annoying, not studying and all" Chaeyoung joked.

"I'm very glad and I bet they'll be too" doctor Min grinned.

"What do you mean?" I asked, exchanging glances with Tzuyu.

"As I previously said, miss Son has been reacting very well to the treatment and is one step away from being 'free'" he airquoted "Which means, after we run the proper tests, we can start the process of searching for the right surgeon for you"

"Surgeon?" Chaeyoung furrowed her brows.

"Yes, to restore your sight, miss Son" doctor Min replied "Since the lack of your vision was caused by a traumatic brain injury occured during the first phase of your sickness, it is likely that your optic never has not been damaged. Therefore, now that you've completely recovered,  we can schedule a surgery"

"You can do that?" Tzuyu asked, her fingers moving rapidly over the keyboard on her phone.

"We sure can" the man replied "But we refrained from doing so until we made sure miss Son was in the right condition. We certainly do not like playing with fire" he added.

"Am I going to be able to--" Chaeyoung stopped talking, her hands searching mine.

"If we find the right surgeon and the procedure goes well, you will have your sight back, although it might take some time to get back to normal" the man spoke "But it's not something to worry about, you can wear glasses or contacts until it's fully restored"

"Th-Thank you" the shot girl whispered as she squeezed my hand.

"Everything for our clients, miss Son" doctor Min smiled "Please remember me to miss Myoui too" he said as we excited his office.

"Oh my god, oh my god, oh my GOD!" Sana came running at our direction, her high pitched voice echoed through the corridors.

"How did Sana get here?" Chaeyoung asked as the older hugged her tightly.

"Tzuyu texted me" she squealed and placed a soft kiss on the girl's lips "I'm so, so, so happy for you! We have to celebrate" Sana chuckled.

"Obviously" I snorted, rolling my eyes.

"I'll call everyone and will plan a meeting at our house, right Chewy?" the girl beamed.

"What am I supposed to do, say no?" the tallest replied and slipped her hand in Sana's.