Chapter 17: Bright

The moon was already out and Chaeyoung anxiously waited on her seat on the hospital bed, bandages wrapped around her head. The room was quiet, only the occasional sound of Mina's phone could be heard every time Sana texted her. The girl had offered to babysit the pair's children as Chaeyoung's parents had an emergency meeting to attend in the company.

"You seem nervous" Mina mumbled, looking up from her phone.

"I am" Chaeyoung replied "What if this doesn't work? I don't want to get my hopes up" she fiddled with her fingers, her eyes were still closed. She didn't want to open them just in case she saw that familiar, dark nothing she always did. Chaeyoung could test if the surgery was successful by simply opening them and even covered under the bandages, there was a high chance of her making out the light of the room, albeit she couldn't bring herself to do so.

"You will be fine, doctor Kim said that these surgeries have a low percentage of failure" Mina softly spoke, her eyes scanning the younger's posture.

Chaeyoung's shoulder were hang low, her head slightly tilted to the right with the tip of her tongue poking out of her mouth. It was a signature move, Mina knew. Whenever the girl would do that meant she was completely terrified and anxious. The older-even after years of being together- hadn't figure out what to do to ease her wife, she could only hold her close and let her know that she will always stick by her.

And that's what she did. Mina stood up, placing her phone in her purse before making her way near the love of her life, the person she had imagined her future self to be with since grade school.

"I'm coming closer now" the older said. This was a habit she had picked up after Chaeyoung lost her sight. She had figured out the younger was getting really jumpy and was never comfortable with not being able to see, so she thought of letting her know about every little move she made. Mina didn't want the girl to feel scared.

"No need to say that anymore. I'm used to it" Chaeyoung replied. The blonde could always tell when Mina was around, the scent of her perfume always provided a sense of comfort to the younger.

Mina hummed and sat next to the girl on the bed, her hand resting on Chaeyoung's thigh.

"You don't have to be anxious, love" the older said "No matter what happens nothing will change between us, between you and your friends or the kids. We all adore you for who you are" she smiled and brushed a reassuring hand across Chaeyoung's face.

"Sometimes I wonder what have I done to deserve you" Chaeyoung spoke "Was I some kind of saint in my previous life with so much faith in God that I was rewarded with such treasure?" she giggled.

"You're such a sweet talker" Mina whined and leaned her forehead against her lover's.

"Did you eat a bagel?" the younger asked, making Mina squeak and playfully slap the girl's thigh.

"Yah!" she shouted "I'm trying so hard to be romantic over here"

"Yeah okay, but I want some bagel too" Chaeyoung insisted "Leave the sappy stuff for later, for when I can see your face and laugh about how much you cry. I'm hungry!" she pouted.

"You're such a child sometimes, I swear" Mina groaned and got off the bed, searching for the second bagel she had brought from home. Approaching the girl, she gently handed it to her while leaving a small kiss on the younger's hand.

"Did Dahyun make this?" Chaeyoung asked with a mouth full of food.

"How do you even--"

"It's her signature sauce" the younger interrupted "She would always make it when she visited home and even if it sounded disgusting at first, she got me hooked on it after a while" Chaeyoung smiled.

Mina laughed to herself, the moments between Chaeyoung and I seemed so precious to her and she questioned if she could ever make Chaeyoung as happy as I did, if the memories they made together were as good as the ones we had.

"Shut up and eat now. You aren't allowed to eat in here" the older said, wiping some sauce off the girl's nose.

"I will stop eating when they come--" she shut up when she heard the door open and felt Mina snatch the bagel away from her, hiding it back in her purse.

"Good evening, miss Son" Chaeryeong greeted "I think you know what I'm here for. Please lay back" the blonde instructed.

And Chaeyoung did that as she felt her heartbeat rise and her palms sweat. As much as she wanted to finally see, she couldn't stop herself from doubting the successfulness of the surgery. When she first got sick, she was told that there was a low change of being able to see again and even if the doctors had explained that her blindness wasn't caused by the sickness rather than a fall, Chaeyoung still felt insecure.

"I'll start cutting the bandages now" Chaeryeong said and picked up the scissors, slowly and steadily cutting the material.

Chaeyoung could feel the big chunks fall on her lap as she squeezed them tightly to prevent herself from shaking. It wasn't long before she felt the younger's slender fingers touch her forehead and the sound of the scissors coming to an end.

"You're okay now" Chaeryeong announced and pulled away, talking a few steps closer to the door.

Chaeyoung kept her eyes shut, her legs had started to shake as she couldn't bring herself to open them. Mina was quick to rush to her side and take her hand, kissing her knuckles and whispering comforting words to her.

"I'll leave you two at it" the blonde smiled and walked out of the room, giving the couple some privacy.

"Sweetheart?" Mina called out "Don't rush it if you don't feel ready" she breathed out and nuzzled her nose against the girl's cheek.

Chaeyoung sighed and gripped her wife's hand harder as she started to open her eyes. The shaking of her legs stopped when the first rays of light, illuminating from the huge lamps, filled her vision.

"That's it, baby. Good job" Mina praised when the girl had fully opened her eyes, taking the much needed time to focus on her surroundings.

Everything was a blur. It was normal, doctor Kim said. It could take a few months for her sight to be back to normal and Chaeyoung never felt so thankful for being unable to see clearly. At least, she could see.

"Mina.." Chaeyoung smiled, finally being able to focus on the figure of the woman hovering above her.

"Hey, you" Mina whispered, caressing the girl's face and fighting back tears.

"It's so bright in here" Chaeyoung whined and examined her lover's face. Everything on her looked different, yet familiar.

"I'm sorry, do you maybe want me to turn off the lights?" the older sniffled, the first tear escaping her eye.

"No, I won't be able to look at you if you do" Chaeyoung spoke and reached to wipe Mina's tears. The action only cause Mina to sob louder, her knees buckling as she waited for the girl to say something.

But, she didn't. Chaeyoung said nothing at all and just glanced at her wife's pretty face. It would be an understatement to say that Chaeyoung found Mina beautiful. The younger always kept telling herself that Mina was something completely out of this word, a mythical creature that the Gods above made and gave no flaws to.

The moment Chaeyoung pulled Mina closer and connected their lips into a soft kiss, she knew she would never get tired of looking at the older.