Chapter 22: Happy Birthday pt.2

June 14th 1999 was one of the best days, Sana thought.

June 14th 1999 was one of the worst days until Sana asked her out, Tzuyu thought.

June 14th was Tzuyu's birthday.

June 14th was Sana and Tzuyu's wedding.

June 14th was also today.

Sana was dressing up after the hot shower she had been meaning to take as soon as she got home from work. The girl examined the bruises on her body as she slowly put on undergarments. It seemed familiar, she figured. The bruising and the pain in her body. This time, though, it was more intense. How could she be diagnosed with cancer again after successful getting over it? They fought so bad to get though it, it was one hell of an experience.

Everyone knew already, we had all gathered last night when Tzuyu was at work. There was a lot of drinking and crying, hugging and more crying. Sana didn't know when she would start therapy, although it would've been ideal if she started on the next few days. She was lectured by her doctor for not starting earlier yet she couldn't do it. Sana had to tell Tzuyu but didn't know how. The first time she did, back in highschool, ended up with Tzuyu opening up about her past to Sana in attempts of making her feel better.

That was the night she thought she might like her. Sana later found out that it Tzuyu wasn't just her crush. No crush would stay all day with her, help her study for exams and be here for her when she had started to get really exhausted. Tzuyu even brought her food, fed it to her and helped her clean up when her parents were too caught up in the company.

Tommoriw Sana would start treatment, her doctor had just texted her. She had to tell Tzuyu and she hated that it had to be on night of her birthday, the night that years ago brought them together.

"What's taking you so long, babe?" the taller asked, hands holding onto Sana's waist, bringing her closer.

"I'm tired" Sana mumbled, whining in pain when her exposed back brushed against Tzuyu's chest.

"Do you need help?" she asked again.

"I can handle it" the older whispered, her eyes making contact with the floor when Tzuyu turned her body to face the younger.

"Are you alright?" Tzuyu softly spoke. Her expression turning worried.

"I don't know"

"Talk to me" the younger said, helping Sana put her shirt and pants on.

"I'm sorry" was the first thing Sana muttered, her body making contact with the soft and comfortable bed in their room.

Tzuyu waited, she knew she couldn't push Sana to talk faster. If she wanted to talk she would in her own pace.

"If should have told you earlier but I was afraid you would be sad" she said in her mother tongue and Tzuyu furrowed her brows.

"Babe, I don't speak Japanese--"

"I'm sick" Sana interrupted "Again"

The younger let out a sigh. The hands that rested on her wife's shoulder's had started to shake. Tzuyu blinked back tears, it wasn't the time to cry.

"I know" she said.

"I-How?"

"We've been through this again, Sana" Tzuyu said "I can tell by how your voice gets lower, by how you avoid eye contact. Even when we fight you aren't so scared to talk to me"

"Tzuyu.."

"Déjà vu" Tzuyu bitterly laughed "That's what happend years ago" she whispered, pulling Sana close.

[Flashback]

"I should have told you earlier" Sana's low voice barely sounded in her quiet bedroom "I was scared you would leave me"

Tzuyu softly tapped her feet on the ground, waiting for Sana to speak up or, at least, make eye contact with her. All the younger wanted was to make sure she was alright.

"I'm sick" Sana muttered and scratched the back of her head "Leukemia"

Tzuyu sighed, pushing her self up from Sana's office chair. The girl's keys, that were all this time in her hand, made a loud noise when they dropped to Sana's bedroom floor. The younger didn't know where the sudden confidence came from but she let her feet take her in front of Sana's bed.

"I'll be here" she simply replied and hugged the older tightly.

It was the first hug Tzuyu has given without being forced to and she liked the feeling of it.

[End of flashback]

"I won't ever leave you" the younger spoke "I'll be by your side and treasure every second of the day I get to spend with you" those were sincere words, coming from the very bottom of Tzuys heart.

The girl was never good with words or emotions. The only person who got her to express them was Sana.

"Thank you" Sana whispered, her eyes locking with Tzuyu's for the first time tonight.

"No, I thank you" the younger smiled "For always fighting and never giving up" she pulled Sana into a kiss, gently caressing her bruised back.

"As long as you're with me, I can make it" Sana smiled "Happy birthday, baby"

-kimwig