Coming Out {9}

“I passed another test in math! Well call me butter because I’m on a roll!” Gav cheered, sitting down at our lunch table holding a math test with “66” written in red pen at the top.

                “Gav, you only passed with a 66. Shut the fuck up,” Gage said, rolling his eyes.

                “Well someone’s wearing a little too much bitch today,” Gav said with a pout.

                Gav turned to me and basically thrust the test into my face. He gave me a goofy grin and began to bounce a little, waiting for my approval.

                “Very good Gav,” I said, patting his head.

                “I AM A FUCKING MATH GENIUS!” he cheered, fist pumping.

                “Get another 66?” Rose guessed, coming over to us.

                Gav grinned and held the test up proudly. “Rose, I don’t mean to brag, but I’m kind of a genius,” he said smugly.

                “Well, that’s wonderful Gav. I’ll keep that in mind. But that’s not why I came over here,” Rose said, sitting down across from us.

                “Then why are you here?” Gage asked in annoyance, biting into a Dorito and glaring at Rose.

                “Because I have some news I thought you would be interested in hearing,” Rose said, shrugging. “Gage, if I were you, I would avoid Collin and Josh today at all costs. Someone was trying to beat up Alex, and it pissed them the hell off. Collin’s furious. He’s looking to start a fight with anyone right now.”

                I shot a nervous glance at Gage, expecting to see at least a little concern on his face. But all I saw was amusement as a smug grin spread on his face.

                “Collin Radke can’t do shit to me. I’d like to see him try,” he said, laughing a little. “But yea, I’d be pissed too if I saw someone trying to ruin Alex’s attractive face.”

                “Gage! Ugh, you have the thickest head ever,” Rose said, shaking her head at him. “Don’t go looking for fights!”

                Gage rolled his eyes and waved his hand at Rose dismissively. “Calm down Rose. Fine, I’ll try to avoid Collin and Josh. But they’re pathetic.”

                “Thank you Gage. Just stay out of trouble,” Rose said, waving to the three of us before she got up and went off to find her friends.

                Gav got up to go buy himself a slushie and Gage turned to me, grinning. I dropped my gaze down to my food, not wanting to talk about this right now. I already knew what he was going to say to me.

                “Trav, you can’t hide forever. Look, what’s the worst that will happen? So Gav cracks a few jokes at you. So Collin and Josh shove you around a little bit. It’d be bad for a little and then everything would snap back to normal within a week or two,” he said, shrugging.

                “Gage, I just don’t want to,” I mumbled, still not meeting his gaze.

                Gage barked a laugh. “That’s a lie if I’ve ever heard one. Look Trav, Gav is straight. Accept it and move the hell on already. Come out and find yourself a boyfriend. Be happy god dammit!” He narrowed his eyes at me.