Coming Out {15}

“Hey Alex,” I greeted, going up to him.

                “Hi Trav,” he said shyly. “What did you need to talk to me about?”

                I looked at this adorable boy. He looked so much younger than he actually was. No, he wasn’t Gavin. But maybe I could be happy with Alex. He was adorable, and I really did enjoy being around him.

                “Uh…Are you going to the senior ball?” I asked.

                Alex looked at me in surprise and shook his head. “No. I’m not a senior. I’m only a freshman, remember?”

                I nodded. “Of course I remember. But if someone invited you as their date you could go,” I said casually.

                Alex blushed and shook his head again. “No, no one wants to go with me,” he said, barely audible. He reached to grab that lock of hair, and I grabbed his hand to stop him.

                Alex stared at our hands in shock, his face turning a brilliant shade of red. He shyly dropped his head and began to chew on his lip.

                I grabbed his chin and gently tilted it up so that he was looking into my eyes. I offered him a small smile, still holding his hand.

                “I don’t understand how you don’t have a date. Do you like anyone?” I asked.

                He nodded timidly. “Y-Yea…but they don’t like me back,” he mumbled.

                I noted with satisfaction that he said “they”, not “she”.

                “She’s a lucky girl if you like her,” I said, wanting him to admit to me that he was gay. I needed to hear him say it.

                Alex remained silent, still looking into my eyes. I mentally sighed, deciding I should just flat out ask him.

                “Alex, would you like to go to the senior ball with me?” I asked seriously.

                Alex’s face did a weird combination between paling and blushing. I felt his body began to tremble and I gripped his hand a little tighter in case he fell.

                “I’m straight,” he whispered, choking a little on the word “straight”.

                “Are you really?” I asked, now positive that he was lying.

                “Collin can’t know!” he whimpered. “He can’t know I like boys! He’s so homophobic! He won’t accept me anymore!”

                “Alex, if Collin really loves you, he’ll accept you no matter what,” I promised sincerely. Collin was a homophobic prick, sure, but he really seemed to love Alex.

                “I can’t risk it Trav,” he said miserably. “I love my big brother too much to risk it. I can’t even imagine if he looked at me with that disgust in his eyes. It would kill me.”

                “You can’t stay quiet forever,” I said. “I didn’t want to come out either, because I was afraid to lose the closeness I shared with Gav. But Gav and I are basically like brothers, and he accepted me. He cared about me too much not to. Collin may not be happy about it, but he’ll still love and accept you.”