Coming Out {19}

“…and the little girl said ‘Daddy, guess what? The mailman dropped dead on the porch today!’,” Gav concluded.

                Gage burst into laughter and instantly began to choke on his lunch. His face turned bright red as he coughed harder, trying to laugh and breathe at the same time.

                “I CHOOSE LIFE!” I screamed before thumping him on the back.

                Gage spit his food into a napkin and gasped for air, still laughing. “I hate you guys! Wait until I’m done eating before you make me laugh!” he cried, getting himself under control.

                “How was I supposed to know my joke would make you laugh? You never laugh!” Gav whined.

                “Fuck you Gav,” Gage said, clearing his throat and drinking some water.

                Rose came over and sat down across from Gav. She smiled and waved at him before turning to me. She sighed and frowned.

                “I just saw some guys picking on Alex out in the hall,” she said.

                “What? Is he okay?” I asked in concern.

                Rose nodded. “Yea, Collin came and just about broke a guy’s jaw for calling Alex a faggot. Ironic, isn’t it? But that’s not the point. I know Collin isn’t exactly fond of you, so I just want you to be careful today since he’s in an especially bad mood now,” she said.

                “Jeez, I don’t know whether to respect Collin or hate him,” I grumbled. His dedication and love for Alex made me want to respect him, but the guy was a prick.

                “Hate him,” Gage said with a shrug. “He’s a homophobic asshole. If he were my brother, I’d tell him to bend over and find out what it really means to be a faggot.”

                “Lovely,” Rose said, rolling her eyes.

                “Man it’s freezing in here. My nips could cut through steel right now,” Gav whined, wrapping his arms around himself and cuddling up next to me for warmth.

                “Well, lunch is almost over. So finish eating and freeze to death later,” I said, shoving him towards his food.

                He pouted at me but shoved a French fry into his mouth. Rose laughed at him and he smiled brightly at her. I swallowed down my jealousy and turned to finish my own lunch.

                The bell rang a few minutes later, and the three of us got up and went to class. When gym rolled around, we changed and went up to the track together.

                “So I cross my heart and I hope to die that I’ll only stay with you one more night!” Gav sang, jumping onto my back.

                I steadied him and grinned. “Yea baby give me one more night,” I said with a wink.

                “Oh, someone’s frisky,” Gav said, giving me a flirtatious smirk.

                “Hey, I want in on this!” Gage whined.

                “Yea, Gage is small enough to be stuck on my body like a tattoo!” Gav said eagerly.

                “Fuck you Gav!” Gage whined. “I will tell Rose’s dad that you’re a man whore who only wants to fuck her, and he will shoot your damn brains out!”