Coming Out {12}

“See you tomorrow!” I said, waving to Gav as he climbed into his mom’s car. I shut the door and went upstairs into my bedroom.

                I looked at myself in the mirror and gulped. I ran a hand through my hair nervously, trying to calm down a little.

                “Okay Trav. Just tell mom and dad. They won’t judge you. They love you,” I whispered to myself, taking a deep breath.

                I left my bedroom and went out to the living room, where mom and dad were watching a movie together. They were cuddled on the couch, and glanced up at me as I entered the room.

                “Hey Trav. Want to watch the movie with us? It’s Princess Bride, one of your favorites,” dad said, his eyes sliding back to the screen as he spoke.

                “Mom…dad…I need to talk to you. It’s serious,” I said quietly.

                They glanced at each other before dad paused the movie. He and mom shifted so that they were sitting up. Dad motioned at me to sit in the chair that was across from the couch. I sat down and gulped, a little afraid to continue.

                “What’s wrong Trav?” mom asked with a frown.

                “You guys won’t judge me, right?” I asked, my voice going small and afraid.

                “Of course we won’t Travis. What happened? Drugs? Alcohol? Sex? A failed class in school? A fight?” dad asked, wrapping an arm around mom’s waist.

                “No…it’s…” I gulped again, the words stuck in my throat. I couldn’t go through with this. I couldn’t tell them. I was too afraid I would disappoint them.

                I stood up, shaking now from fear. “Never mind. It doesn’t matter. Sorry I disturbed you guys. I’m just going to go to bed now,” I mumbled quickly, spinning around and starting towards my bedroom.

                A hand grabbed my arm and then my dad was gently turning me so that I faced him. He placed his hands on my shoulders and looked deeply into my eyes.

                “Trav, we’re not going to judge you. Whatever it is, just tell us,” he said gently.

                “I’m gay!” I cried and squeezed my eyes shut. “I’m gay! I like boys! I kissed Gage! I like Gav!” I began to tremble violently, terrified of their reaction.

                I cracked my eyes open and saw a look of confusion on my dad’s face. I risked a glance at my mom and saw the same confusion on her face.

                “You interrupted our movie for that? Jeez Trav, we already knew,” dad said, releasing my shoulders and dropping back onto the couch.

                “I…what?” I asked in confusion. What did he mean they already knew?

                “We heard you talking to Gage,” mom said with a shrug. “There’s no door between the kitchen and the living room, and we were in here when you boys were talking. Plus, we could tell just by the way you look at Gavin. No offense Trav, but you’re pretty obvious. Gav’s oblivious, but we’re not.”

                I stared at them, my mouth dropping open. “And…you’re not mad or ashamed or anything?” I asked nervously.

                They both shook their heads at me. Dad wrapped his arm back around mom and shrugged at me casually.