Coming Out {14}

I sighed and shut my locker, feeling exhausted. I had barely slept at all last night, and I was just glad it was Friday now.

                I began to head towards the main lobby and paused when I saw Alex. He was leaning against the wall, staring down at his feet.

                “Hey Alex,” I said, going over to him.

                He jumped in surprise and glanced up at me, his face instantly heating up. He nodded a greeting at me.

                “Why are you just standing here alone?” I asked curiously.

                “I’m waiting for Collin and Josh. You should go before they get here. I don’t want Collin to yell at you,” he mumbled nervously.

                “I’m not afraid of Collin,” I lied casually. “I want to talk to you, so I’m staying right here.”

                Alex blushed harder. “Then…let’s go to the junior hallway. They won’t be there,” he said, his eyes darting around the hallway we were in to make sure they weren’t in sight.

                A little relieved, I nodded and we walked to the junior hallway together. After making sure the coast was clear, I relaxed.

                “So…how old are you anyways? What grade are you in?” I asked. He looked and acted like he should’ve been in the fifth grade, but he was obviously older than that.

                “I’m 14. I’m a freshman,” he said, beginning to twirl his hair around his finger again. I had a feeling he did that whenever he got nervous. “You’re a senior, like my brother.”

                I nodded. “I am,” I said, trying to think of something to say. How was I supposed to hold a conversation with a kid that barely spoke?

                “And you’re always hanging out with Gage Allen and Gav Drake,” he said, still not meeting my eyes.

                I nodded again. “They’re my best friends,” I said with a small smile. “Who do you hang out with?”

                “Collin and Josh,” he mumbled.

                “Well, yea. But who else?” I asked. Now that I thought about it, I hadn’t ever seen Alex with anyone other than Collin and Josh.

                “No one else,” he said, so silent that I barely heard him. “Just Collin and Josh.”

                I frowned, suddenly feeling bad for him. I couldn’t even imagine not having any friends. Poor guy.

                “Well, I’ll be your friend,” I offered with a shrug and a small smile.

                Alex looked up in shock. “Why?” he whispered. I had a feeling he wasn’t used to people being nice to him.

                I shrugged at him. “Because you seem nice, and I want to be friends with you,” I said, smiling wider. “If you’re okay with that.”

                He nodded, blushing like crazy. Aw, he was adorable! I just wanted to cuddle him and ruffle his hair! Collin was so lucky to have such a cute little brother.

                The bell rang and we both jumped in surprise. I sighed and shoved my hands in my pockets, glancing down the hallway.