Coming Out {13}

The final bell rang and I jumped up and hurried out of class. I went to my locker and got what I needed before turning and hurrying to go meet up with Gav and Gage.

                My phone buzzed and I pulled it out of my pocket, not slowing my pace. I was eager to just get home and hangout with best frie-

                “AH!”

                I crashed into someone and stumbled backwards, dropping my phone to the ground. I slapped a hand over my mouth, surprised I had actually yelled.

                I looked down to apologize and my eyes widened as they landed on Alex Radke. I looked around wildly and relief filled me when I didn’t spot Collin or Josh anywhere. They would literally kill me for knocking Alex down.

                “I’m so sorry!” I cried, holding my hand out to him to help him up.

                He grabbed my phone and eyed my hand nervously before timidly taking it. I pulled him to his feet and he shyly held my phone out to me.

                “Thanks. I’m really sorry I ran into you. Are you okay?” I asked, shoving my phone into my pocket.

                Alex nodded, his gaze dropping to the ground as he began to twirl a lock of hair around his finger again. I didn’t understand how someone as loud and crazy as Gage could ever believe he’d get with someone so quiet and shy.

                I looked at Alex awkwardly, unsure of what to say. How do you even try to have a conversation with a mute kid? Then again…I really did want to hear Alex’s voice…The last time I had heard him speak was months ago, when Collin had asked him what time they had to leave school. I couldn’t remember what he sounded like, though.

                “Hey Alex…can I ask you something?” I asked.

                He looked up at me, that light blush on his face. He nodded slowly, slight curiosity in his light blue eyes.

                “Why do you hang out with Collin? He’s so mean to everyone, and you’re not mean,” I said, truly curious.

                “He’s my brother,” Alex mumbled, so quiet that I barely heard him. But I did manage to catch his soft, musical voice.

                Aw man. No wonder Gage wanted him.

                “Just because he’s your brother, it doesn’t mean you have to hang out with him all the time. He’s mean and you know it. He’s just a bully,” I said, frowning deeply at the thought of the way Collin treated Gage.

                “He’s not a bully,” Alex said, but I knew he didn’t believe it.

                “Sure he’s not. And Hitler wasn’t a bad guy,” I said sarcastically. I mentally slapped myself and sighed. “Sorry. I’m not trying to be mean to you. I just hate the way Collin treats Gage. And, well, me I guess. Threatening to beat me up just because I’m gay.” I sighed and shook my head.

                I ran a hand through my hair and realized I needed to find my friends before the buses left. I glanced down at Alex.

                “Well, I have to go find Gav and Gage. I’ll talk to you later then,” I said.

                His head jerked up in surprise and the blush grew. He dropped his head again and nodded at me, back to twirling his hair around his finger.