Chapter 1: At The Bedside

Momo sat quietly as the rhythmic beeping of the heart monitor repeated as if keeping tempo to an unseen orchestra. Samuel Di Angelo had been found unresponsive yet alive inside of the remains of Fredbear's Family Diner. Why he was there was unclear to most but she knew. It was the one thing that drove him to Freddy's. He wanted to prove without a shadow of a doubt that William Afton was a murderer.

Of course, the only evidence was Charlie's memory of the day but she was too young so no one could call it a solid eye witness report when the case was open. It was, by this point, a cold case and left in the files of Hurricane's lock up but it bothered him.

His desire for proof almost got him killed.

The woman studied the man's face. It was calm now which was a far cry from when she had found him. Though to see him so calm was a nice change from the slight sadness that always seemed to follow him.

"What happened Sam...?"

Of course, he couldn't answer but neither could the examination. He was fine as far as the scans and tests went so why would he just drop like that? He was physically and mentally stable which confused everyone. They had him connected to an I.V. just in case but it didn't seem to have any effect. He wasn't in a coma either. It was as if he were in a deep sleep, it raised the question of what happened to lead him to be in such a state.

"Well we searched the place but all that's there are old papers...Since he's the last contactable person to have worked there legally it's up to him to do anything with them."

Police Chief Clay Burke had entered the room and sat next to the short woman. He knew Sam from the incident at Fredbear's which wasn't a pleasant memory for either of them and he would rather forget but it seemed the blonde-haired man just couldn't. William Afton was dead as far as anyone knew so for him to be hunting down evidence was...odd. Perhaps it was just for closure which the police chief could understand but this was different. Something happened in the darkness of the diner and now it seemed Sam wasn't entirely wrong to go hunting for the paperwork.

Was William Afton back?

It was a silent question everyone asked yet no one had an answer for. If he was, then did he attack Sam? If so, why? If he wasn't then what happened while the blue-eyed man was alone? No one had an answer for that either which didn't help matters.

"Clay. What was it like?"

The officer shifted, the diner was once a social hub for the town. It was lively, busy every day and everyone wanted to be there. At least that was the case for a while as things took a major turn when Henry's youngest child was taken. Only two people had any clue as to who it was, one was Charlie. The other being Sam who was in the safe room at the time but he was in a situation all his own to have seen anything but still held out that William had done it. The man in question had supposedly grown to resent his partner's life.

"For a while, it was just like Freddy's. Busy, always full of people, everyone was there it felt like. At least until that one day in eighty-seven when everything fell apart...Did Sam tell you about that? Wouldn't surprise me if he hasn't yet."

Momo shook her head, all he had said about the place was that it existed and he worked there for a while. Now she was curious as to why he hadn't. Did it have something to do with his scars? Was it just too sad of a memory for him to talk about? Why hadn't he mentioned it? To be fair to him, he had only brought it up about a week ago which was a little after he hired her to watch Mike while he went out. It was a bit odd but then again, so was Sam so she never really questioned it.

"He probably thought better of it then, it wasn't a pleasant day that one...Somehow...actually I think it be best left to Sam to discuss it as the police were involved and well, I can't go into specifics even if I'm the chief."

The woman nodded slowly. Her mind was more focused on the man lying on the bed beside her. His heart rate was still the rhythmic beating it had been which was somewhat reassuring as that meant he was, to some extent, alive. If only he was awake though as she had a lot of questions that needed to be answered.