Chapter 11: Midnight

"Should I say something to him? Would it change anything? Would he look at me the same way? So many questions..."

Momo Maverick was having quite the mental conversation as she was driving to her destination, a hotel on the opposite side of town. One of the only places she really had to stay since there wasn't a homeless shelter in the city and she didn't even want to bother with one. She'd likely not of lasted long there. She couldn't go home, not after what had happened anyway. It wasn't worth it but she was also slowly losing money to keep paying for the hotel room. Freddy's was a good job sure but the pay wasn't quite enough to assure that she could pay the fee for the room from week to week and if she couldn't...where would she go?

"I guess I should...it be better if I did because then if I were to show up late one night with all I have, what little it is, it wouldn't be surprising...but...I can't do that to him...He already has Mike to deal with, the last thing he needs is another person in his house..."

The idea kept passing through her head, surely Sam would understand her situation but would he just blindly accept her? It was possible but was SHE willing to ask? It was really hard for her to say given she was trying to survive on her own despite everything she had been through...asking for help was easy, but showing that she truly needed it was something else. She was supposed to be the helpful one, not the one being helped.

"I guess I should...If it bothers him then just figure something out. If not, then at least we don't have to deal with the hotel again..."

She sighed. Was this really what her life had become? Just another worker at a pizzeria who could barely afford to live out of a hotel...What a life she had...The woman wasn't jealous of Sam per se but she also felt...inferior to him due to how he managed to live. Of course, he also had his own issues to deal with but at least he had a house...

"Stop it. Thinking like that won't help anything...Just...get to the room, get to sleep and we can deal with this tomorrow."

Momo sighed again, she really hated when her mind started spinning like that. Thinking and doing were two different things and only one of them solved problems. Of course, she was too tired to do much of anything else other than sleep which made driving a bad idea but she couldn't bring herself to sleep in Sam's house. It just didn't feel right to her to do that.

At last her car passed into Hurricane proper and she took in some of the stores as she had never really paid much attention, then again it was hard to during the day so this was probably the best time to do so.

"Huh. Hurricane's got some good stuff...Of course, probably couldn't afford anything but it's always nice to see regardless."

The woman slowed her car down so she could get a better view of the names of the stores she passed by but none of them really grabbed her except for 'Rose's Roses' which she found amusing, perhaps it was just her lack of energy. Regardless she continued onwards, almost getting out of town before a cop had pulled her over. As far as she was aware she wasn't doing anything wrong.

"Evening Ma'am. You hear about what's going on recently?"

"No sir, what would that be?"

Momo was utterly lost. What could the officer be on about?

"There's been reports of weird things on the outskirts of the city ma'am. We're currently investigating and want to make sure everyone's safe is all. If you see anything, call right away. We're not sure if something truly is out there or not but we don't want to take chances."

"Understandable sir."

The officer, apparently their last name was 'Dunn', nodded, walked off, and left. Leaving Momo to question what exactly was going on. Slowly she started driving again, now carefully watching her surroundings as she drove. If she was gonna get to sleep before, she wasn't going to now. Not with the possibility of a serious threat lurking in the darkness. There was the taser as a means of defense but would it be enough? Sam never specified how powerful it was in relation to a human analog so she could have been carrying around a glorified stick to beat someone with.

"Here's to hoping. Worse comes to I can just head back to his house for the night. I'm sure he'd understand that."

After what might have been only a few minutes she finally pulled into the parking lot of the hotel, dim bulbs illuminating very little of the parking lot but it was enough to see by and since she hadn't brought anything all that was needed in the car was her keys. Slowly the engine died and the keys were pulled from the ignition but didn't get out of the car.

Something was waiting for her.

Momo didn't move, she didn't want to show whatever was out there to know she knew it was there but would she be able to get away fast enough to escape? Gently she put the keys back where they were and started the car again. Sam's house it was.

"Well...let's get go-"

Before she put the car into gear, the thing that was waiting for her moved in the darkness. A slight glimpse of what was likely metal caught her eye, thankfully it was still a ways back but she couldn't think about it. She needed to get back to Sam.