Chapter 18:Monster Attack

Charlie had just hung up the phone when the sound of a click hit her ears. Did Aunt Jen know what Mike said or was there something wrong that she wasn’t aware of? The young woman slowly moved from the phone to where the sound had first come from to find her aunt was holding a gun by her side. It was concerning, to say the least.

    “Charlie. Go hide in the safe room. Something’s outside…”

    The young woman did as she was told and shot through the house. Her aunt wasn’t one to joke about anything so there must have been something serious lurking around the house if she had to go to the safe room. 

    The safe room was a simple box with food, water, and light. Not much else was in there due to what little space would have been left but it served its purpose and that’s all that mattered as Charlie threw herself into the room and shut the door behind her. For a moment everything was silent until the faint sound of her aunt’s voice hit her ears.

    “Oh, Henry, what are you doing here?”

    She nearly started sobbing right then and there had he been alive. Someone was trying to trick them but why? 

    William’s sick experiments were out there. That’s what it was. That thing at the door wasn’t her father, it was a half baked trick to get her. Luckily she was smart enough to realize it. Though it did raise the question of why her? 

    “Oh, Charlie’s not here right now-”

    A sudden, terrified and pain filled scream ripped through the house. Whatever that thing was, it just attacked her aunt and that meant it was likely to come for her too. She sat silently, staring at the door to the box of a room. There was no way it knew. It couldn’t know...Could it? Charlie could only hope. 

    How long had she been sitting there? Silence had long filled the house due to the lack of a clock; the young girl had no clue how long it had been let alone if or where that thing was in the house.  It scared her being so alone. She already lost her brother, her father, her mother and now maybe her aunt as well. Where would she go? Who would she live with? The thoughts flooded her mind as she sat in terrified silence. 

    There was a knock on the door.