Chapter 5: Devil's Den

"I still don't like you doing this Sam...Though I suppose me being here's only marginally better..."

Momo slowly pulled her car into the parking lot and turned the engine off. On a positive note, it was midday so they could see just fine but that didn't mean they wouldn't have any trouble. After all. Something had to have attacked Sam for him to be in such a state when she first found him here...was it still around? There wasn't any good way to tell so their best shot was to try to get in and out as fast as possible.

"I know you don't but this HAS to end. You don't understand. Not that anyone really would...After all the shit William's done, the shit he's done to ME...I deserve some closure. To know without a doubt he's gone...He's a dark shadow that haunts me. He's connected to who I am. I can't escape his reach even if he should be dead...Even in death he still gets the last laugh but I'm changing that."

The blonde wasn't one to lose his cool that easily but his crystal clear bitter resentment of his old boss was impossible to deny. This wasn't just about him, this was his best chance at revenge since William was gone. Proving his guilt was about as close as he would get to punching the man in the face which if it meant that he would move on? Momo was fine with it.

It bothered her deeply that Sam was so obsessed with this case but she understood it. He had lost too many people he cared about to this place and this was the best he had at avenging them. If not for himself, for Henry as he too lost a child and now that man was dead leaving Charlie alone. Mike had been screwed over too, his own mother disappeared after that day and no one's been able to find her. The paperwork in William's old office could hold the answers he wanted. All it took was actually getting them.

"Hey, it will be alright Sam...if it would help, we can go get something to eat after we finish up here..."

The short woman had made the offer as an attempt to calm her partner down as they had a task to finish and that meant keeping a level head, though for Sam that was likely gonna be harder to do than it was to say since he WAS going back into the single worst building to have entered his life.

"That sounds nice, to be honest...I just want this to be over...I've had too many nights without sleep and it's getting to the point of problematic."

Momo raised an eyebrow. This was a first for her. He never brought up an inability to sleep which made this even more concerning. Sam was literally losing sleep due to William's actions. She'd heard enough. They were getting that paperwork.

"Let's go."

She finally stepped out of the car, the much taller man following. It was kind of a surprising change in personality. Normally she was calm and patient but something clearly shifted. It was strange sure but it was probably better as there could have been anything in the diner and that meant being ready for it.

"You know what you're looking for?"

"Yeah."

"Then let's get in, get the papers and get out."

Sam entered the building first, the short woman close behind. His blue eyes scanned everything, not taking any chances after what happened last time. He couldn't afford that to happen again...if he HAD been attacked in the first place, he had no idea but it didn't matter. He would be ready for it. So would Momo.

"Well...it's quiet...though I can't tell if I like that or not."

Silence filled the halls again, the sounds of happiness long since deserted this place. Music no longer filled the air nor did the smell of fresh pizza. All that remained of the past were a couple of stools still at an empty bar, the rotting show stage and what remained of the two characters that called this place home which neither were visible but some sixth sense told Sam that they weren't gone.