Chapter 2: Memories

Sam couldn't move, couldn't speak. Something was pulling him somewhere but he couldn't see it. Until his vision finally focused.

   Fredbear's.

   He was at Fredbear's. There was something wrong with this, it was too active. What was going on? He knew well enough what he was seeing but how? There was only one way to find out.

   His feet carried him across the parking lot and up to the door, he hesitated before opening it. It fell into place. This was his first day on the job...but what did this have to do with anything? At last, he opened the door and walked in.

   It was overwhelming for the man, it was too loud for him to be comfortable with but he needed to get a job and well, this was right up his alley. Something about robotics/animatronics had taken a hold of his mind and wouldn't let go so he figured the best thing to do was follow any leads that he could and see where he went. His search had led to here and little did he know how much the place would change his life.

   "Ah, you must be Mr.Di Angelo. Nice to meet you, I'm Henry Emily. The one you talked to on the phone."

   Henry Emily. A name Sam would never forget. This was him. This was the man behind Fredbear's. The father of the animatronics. A cornerstone of Hurricane's history.

   The man extended his hand and Sam shook it, his grip was firm. The hand of a man who worked on many a project and this? This was likely Henry's magnum opus. A way to showcase his works and have the masses enjoy them. It was staggering.

"I am indeed sir. I've heard positive things about this place and am quite excited to get a chance at being a part of this wonderful establishment's workforce."

   "Please, call me Henry, 'sir' makes me feel old."

   The blonde stood awkwardly for a moment before Henry turned to head inside, passing a small waiting area which was unmanned. To the left was a door leading to a dark room. There weren't any clear details as to what was inside but it appeared to hold a row of stools. Further into the short hallway and to the right was the main dining room which held the show stage. Upon it was none other than Fredbear and his partner, a rabbit. Both stood tall, their fur bright under the stage lights making them appear to be golden, smiles beaming outwards to their audience. Fredbear had a purple top hat and tie while the rabbit only had a tie.

   "Ah yes. Fredbear and SpringBonnie. They're my greatest achievements so far."

   The pride in Henry's voice filled Sam with confidence. This was where he wanted to work. There was no backing out now, not after seeing the characters and how the patrons were so enthralled by them.

   Suddenly two children shot around the corner of the doorway and into the main dining area making Sam jump. This only got a laugh out of Henry.

   "Don't mind them, Samuel. They're my children, and well kind of hard to keep them in line here as I got a lot of work."

   "Got it. Not going to lie, the two on stage are quite something, to be honest. I'm amazed at how fluid they move and how thin they are. I was kind of imagining something a bit bigger due to well, robots aren't skinny."

   The man just shook his head and left the room, the man followed closely as to not lose track of his potential boss. As he walked, the man slowly took in everything. Everything was simple and easy to understand by glancing at it. He could get used to being here.

   At last the tall man entered Henry's office, shut the door and sat down across from the other man. At the back of his mind, Sam felt that the characters on stage were more than just robots covered in suits and when Henry pulled out an odd silver thing his feeling was confirmed. It was strange, hooked on both ends with a small circular space. Possibly for some sort of crank.

   "This is a spring lock. It's a small thing but it's what makes my characters so special. When this is extended the parts of the animatronic are spread out and allow a person to use the character like a regular costume. I think you can guess what would happen if it were to come loose while someone was inside, it would be painful. I'm telling you this since you've taken such a notable liking to them that I'm willing to bet you're interested in being a performer. Not many people are willing to take that job after I tell them about it all BUT I think you're not deterred are you?"

   Something about how Henry was talking felt...like he was challenging Sam. Seeing how well he would hold up under the possibility of dying on the job. The blue-eyed man, while keeping a mask of calm was quite the opposite. For such a welcoming place it sure had a dark side that few, if anyone knew about. It was quite the show.

   "Well, if you're not up for it an extra hand in the kitchen wouldn't be a bad idea. Caroline's good but she does have the occasional day where she gets a little behind."

   There it was. The extra push to see where Sam would go with this. The question was, did he go for the suit or help in the kitchen...On one hand, the suits had a very high chance of untimely death but on the other, he got to perform and therefore get to be himself without being judged for it. It really wasn't too hard of a choice.

   "Well, let me show you-"

   Henry was cut off by a different voice.

   "I think he's waking up. His heart rates steady but his brain's picking up activity."

   Sam blinked slowly. His head was spinning and he could barely see anything but the voice wasn't one he knew. What was that beeping noise?

   "Samuel? Samuel, can you hear me?"

   "Where...am I?"

   A sigh of relief filled his ears and finally, his sight came back. He was in a hospital room for sure but what happened? How did he get here? Wasn't he JUST at Fredbear's? There was something wrong.

   "You're in the hospital. You've been under for about a week now."