Chapter 24: The Finale

This was it. The final chapter had arrived in this twisted tale of robotics gone astray and it wasn’t going to be an easy ending either. It never was meant to be. This wasn’t about killing SpirngTrap permanently. It was also about saving Momo, Charlie, and Mike. Whatever happened down there would decide the fate of Hurricane and no one would know about it. Other than the fact the monsters roaming around wouldn’t show up again. 

    “Alright...So...going in with little to no plan and hoping it works doesn’t seem like the brightest of ideas William. Seriously. We’re up against an unpredictable monster.”

    “Samuel. Everyone has a plan until they’re punched in the mouth so it’s just a matter of finding an opening to strike properly. You remember the special striking point right? Rhetorical question but the point is, it should still work. If immobilize him for a second or two. If Momo has the taser, we’ll fry the thing to next week.”

    “And if she doesn’t?”

    Silence filled the building. It seemed William didn’t know how to answer. Either he was betting on the fact she did or just didn’t want to say that they’d not get out alive otherwise. It wasn’t exactly the best odds for them.

    “I know you won’t have an answer but I’ve found a few memories that are locked behind what look like security doors in here...any clue what they may be?”

    “I don’t...I don’t remember anything before waking up on my first day of work...Is...That’s weird. I never thought about it, to be honest, but there’s definitely something weird here.”

    Neither Sam or William had an idea of just what was hiding back behind the doors but perhaps it was for the better. There was no telling what may be lurking in there after all and perhaps he blocked out a troubled past? It didn’t matter anymore as it was time for one final show. One final stand.

    “Let’s not dwell on it.”

    At last the familiar metal of the elevator came into sight. The storage facility was as it had been the last time they were there but there seemed to be eyes watching. A ghostly gathering to watch the final round of a long fight. Tonight it would end one way or another and there was only one victor. 

    “This is...the single stupidest thing I have ever done. And my dead boss is helping me fight his dead corpse...What next. I’m an actual angel?”

    “Well given the way things have gone, I wouldn’t be too surprised, to be honest. After all, those locked memories may be something worth keeping in mind.”

    William had a point. The memories were rather perplexing in a way. Why would his mind block them out? If it was his own fault, to begin with. It just didn’t quite sit well and was a bit too illogical for there to be just random...and why of all things metal doors? It was an odd choice.

    “Sam. Focus. We can’t lose track of what’s in front of us. We WILL finish this… Something’s shifted in here...I’m going to check it out…”

    With that, the man fell silent as the man stood in the elevator. It was a slow descent and there was oddly casual music playing. It was of all things, bongos. It was kind of funny in a way but of all things before a big fight. Casual bongos…

    “Hello again and welcome back for another night of work, please reenter your name into the keypad.”

    The blue tablet popped out again, its green eyes seemed to almost...study Sam. As if it knew exactly who he was. As if it knew why he was here. It was unsettling. It felt like Caroline was there, watching his every move to see how he would handle it. She couldn’t be though. She was gone already...hopefully anyway.